Trailer space is it worth the risk of damaging equipment?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by swim, Nov 11, 2007.

1. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

I have used a velke for years. I like to chain it up to the lawn mower when its on the trailer so I have more space. I noticed after a few years of doing this with my Scag that the frame on the handle bars was cracked. I think the weight of the velke bouncing up and down on the trailer caused it. Has anyone else had this problem? I don't know what else could have caused it. The way it was designed to bend in the middle made it not take up to much space in the down position because it would fold. Its replacement takes up much more space in the down position so it is much more of a concern now. Do I give up the space or risk the same thing happening to the new mower?

Here are some pics of the older cracked frame. What do you think caused the cracks?

walkbehind velke 001.jpg

walkbehind velke 002.jpg

walkbehind velke 003.jpg

2. swim

Here are couple pics of the new setup. See how far back the rider has to set in order for the velke to be in the down position verses up.

walkbehind velke 004.jpg

walkbehind velke 005.jpg

3. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

Its hard to tell just from the pics but it looks like they rusted from the inside. If this is in fact the case then maybe you could drill a weep hole in that area to allow moisture to escape.

Scott

4. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

Do you leave your equipment out in the rain? Does it ever get below freezing where you are? Looks like water got into there and froze up and busted the metal.

5. swim

Those are some really good ideas as to what may have caused the damage. Let me go out and look at it and see what I think about it.

It sits uncovered on the trailer all summer but is tarped in the winter months.It does get below freezing several times a year here sometimes as cool as 20 degrees or so at night. But both sound really reasonable.

6. swim

Ok I can definately see how water may have gotten into the handle on the Scag. The first two pics are of the Scag. So if this is the cause of the damage, has anyone had this happen to their Exmark? The second two pics are it.

I would really like this to be the answer to my problem so that I can transport it with the velke in the up position.

Anyone else had a similar problem, or suggestions to what may have caused the damage?

Thanks again.

rust 004.jpg

rust 003.jpg

rust 002.jpg

rust 001.jpg

7. Leaf Jockey

Leaf Jockey LawnSite Senior Member

Ya know, it looks like you have a few years use on that machine. Why not just repair/replace the broken piece and run it another xx years.

Scott

8. swim

The Scag is retiring to spend the rest of its days out to pasture to enjoy the rest of its life mowing at its own pace as it wishes, no more time is money for it.. It was a great mower to say the least.:laugh:
    The Exmark is its replacement.:)
    It has allot to live up to.
    Long live the Scag.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Is that not one of the sulky designs that swing all the way around for backing up? Or does it just jack knife? Either way, kick it under the machine or to the side at 90 degrees. You may have to position the mower over a smidgen (yes I said smidgen) toward the left or the right, but that little bit won't matter.

10. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I think it was the way you have the Velke hanging that cracked your handle bars. You have a lot of weight constantly pulling back and down on the handle bars and every time you'd hit a bump it was jerking back on them.

I'd also look into getting the shorter arm for that new Velke. It'll get your feet up closer to the mower and it's a lot less stress on your back.

I've had a Velke hung from the handle bars of several mowers including a Exmark and never had a handle bar crack.