trailer sprayer

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by okiejaco, Mar 31, 2008.

1. okiejaco

okiejaco LawnSite Member

Since nobody around here wants to spray my yard, I have decided to buy a sprayer and do it myself. Tractor Supply has one for around $300. Is this the going rate? When and what is the best thing for me to get to kill weeds? Mostly dandelions, crabgrass, hen-bit, and clover type weeds. Don't think I can get the same thing as the pros do but want something better than what I can get at Lowe's....etc if possible. I live in Oklahoma. So if anybody from around OKC can give me some help, I would really appreciate it.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

How big is your lawn? You can buy the weed killer that has the bottle you attach right to a hose and it works pretty good...no tank needed. The nice thing with the hose sprayer is that you likely wont put down more than you need if you don't overlap much...with inexperience and a tank sprayer there is no telling what will happen (How will you know your spray rate...GPM?)

3. okiejaco

okiejaco LawnSite Member

My yard is around 6,000 sqf but would we have almost 3 acres. I would probably spray a little more if I did it myself. Guess I just assumed the sprayer would come with a regulator. Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. Not looking to make a show yard, just want to kill some weeds. I have tried using a pump up sprayer and weed killer from Lowe's and it didn't seem to do much good.

4. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

At what temperature are you spraying the chemicals? I agree a pump/backpack sprayer for 3 acres is too much. If only treating 6000 sq ft the hose end sprayer will work fine and actually does a great job. I only chemical treat my own lawn as I do not have a license to treat my customers lawns, but have had great results.

5. kwagner

kwagner LawnSite Member

I would go to TLC off of memorial and santa fe or off of NW exp and council and tell them your needs. They have helped me out numerous times. I buy all of my weed killer and pre emergent from them. In the cool weather I use some killler called speed zone, and later in the year when its warmer and the crab grass starts I use some called image I think.

6. okiejaco

okiejaco LawnSite Member

The temps are around 60-70 right now. I have a small pump up sprayer that you carry, maybe I will use it. Thanks for the information kwagner. I will stop by TLC sometime. Isn't there a TLC down South? Somewhere around SW 119th.

7. kwagner

kwagner LawnSite Member

I dont think so, but I could be wrong...see if you can look them up and give them a call.
    good luck.

8. okiejaco

okiejaco LawnSite Member

I was thinking of Marcum's. I went to TLC today and got some Speedzone. Guess I will get something for crabgrass later on.

9. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

When using the trailer sprayer your most important concern will be calibrating it correctly. Search the pesticide forum on calibration as I don't have time to type it out right now. As for chemical you could look for a turf supply store, maybe a Lesco, that would carry a 3 way herbicide. It will get rid of most weeds. If you can't find 3 way then maybe buy a gallon of 2,4-D at TSC and wait until late april or May to spray, then again in October.

10. kwagner

kwagner LawnSite Member

I sprayed some speedzone this weekend and the weeds are already dead. I use image later on in the year for crab grass.