1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Tailgate Assist Devices

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by superbee, May 3, 2005.

1. superbee

superbee LawnSite Member

Anybody use a tailgate lift assist device for their trailer? Yesterday, I let my tailgate slip and about knocked myself out when it hit me in the face. What brands are good? Thanks.

2. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

just build your own..........you will save about 90%

Derek

3. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I loved the Gorilla lift until the cable broke(after a year) and the replacement was almost the same price as the whole unit. I did write to the company with my concerns, hopefully I will get some satisfaction. But it is a great device that saves your back big time.
    Harry

4. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm gonna make one using garage door springs. If i ever get it done I'll post some pics.

5. wroughtn_harv

wroughtn_harv LawnSite Member

Probably the cheapest and easiest is coil springs with legs at each end. They go along with the hinges and pick up the weight. A look at horse trailer ramps is a good example of them in use. They're not in the way of work and they're dependable over the long haul.

6. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Does anybody have pictures of their homemade lifts.

7. The Captain

The Captain LawnSite Senior Member

Search, search, search. Over the years alot of the members have posted great photos and simple explainations on building your own. Just remember to enclose the springs for safety. I have the Gorrilla Lifts on my trailers. Cost of about $200 per set, easy to install.

Jim

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Here's mine. I had the roller assembly made at a machine shop but, I think you can buy something similar.

DSC00002.JPG

10. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Here's another variant that I really like. It's patented so it can't be sold by anyone else but, you could copy it. It's absolutley the best I've ever seen.

Attached Files: