Trailer Tailgate Assist Devices

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by superbee, May 3, 2005.

1. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

What the heck is that????

2. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

The problem with using pvc pipe to house the garage door springs in that they can break quite easily if you drop something on them especially if it is colder outside. If you do make something up try to use 2" diameter fence post pipe or something similar.

3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

No offense but, it would have to be pretty cold for that to happen. My trailer is safely tucked away for the winter. I only use the tubes to keep from pinching anyones fingers. The spring is SECURED, believe me. I've used it for several years now and it's been ok.

4. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

;) looks like suspension system not a gate assist

looks interesting no cables to trip over-Do you have more info and better pics -
    Thanks harry

5. RELIABLELAWNMAN

RELIABLELAWNMAN LawnSite Member

Tharrell,
    Could you post a picture of the mounting set-up for the leaf spring assist where it is attached to the gate?
    Thanks

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

The leaf spring route would definetely be the safest and cleanest way to go. I think that pic was a series of pics on the site from another user. I believe that was one taken on his side ramp of his trailer. I think with a search you might be able to find some more pics of that setup.

7. superbee

superbee LawnSite Member

I agree, the Leaf Spring looks like the best way to go. What comapny manufactures those? We need more pics of how the Leaf Spring is mounted to the trailer.

Thanks

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have personally never seen any manufacturer produce that kind of lift. I believe the pic is from someone who made it themselves. I am sure you could pick up an old leaf spring from a salvage yard. All ya need is a welder and some other stuff. I bet you could make one of those for less than $25.

9. Tharrell

A member, Yankee Clipper owns that trailer. I haven't heard from him in a while. It's patented by Tesh & Sons, they manufacture all kinds of trailers in Welcome NC. Here's some more pics.

Attached Files:

10. Tharrell

Here's a picture of his whole trailer, it's really sweet!

Attached Files: