1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Tailgate Assist Devices

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by superbee, May 3, 2005.

1. jniolon

jniolon LawnSite Member

I know this is a very old post but thought this might help someone

a couple of months ago I was looking for plans to build a lift assist for a trailer ramp... finding little of any use, I started looking at commercial units and copying what I could... this thread gave me good info for my plans

this one is what I came up with and it sure helps an old timer with the ramp/gate..

http://www.clubfte.com/users/jniolon/girlygate/girlygate.htm

later,
    John

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Looks almost identical to mine, except the end of that one is at a slant and they use the gorilla rollers. I just 2 window pulleys instead and they are placed on top of each other, but I think the Gorilla design is better. Kudos to the guy that made those instructions....great job.

3. jniolon

jniolon LawnSite Member

that would be me Walker... thanks for the nice words... I thought about some other type of roller but those were so cheap... and gorilla had already perfected the design... that was the easy road to take... I'm pleased with the finished product... and it sure handles the gate nicely

later
    john

4. walker-talker

from Midwest

How much do the roller kits cost from Gorilla?

I built mine about 8 years ago and I am on the 3rd cable for each side. I had a problem with the cable slipping out of the window pulleys, but this last time I replaced the cable with some much thicker stuff. I don't think it will slip out again. If the Gorilla lift was around when I bought mine or were more popular then, I probable would have used those.

5. jniolon

jniolon LawnSite Member

6. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm thinking of his idea. Have to reinforce my gate this year which is going to make it heavier. I saw somewhere, plastic coated springs. Any idea where to get them?

7. walker-talker

from Midwest

I got mine from Home Depot and they were the biggest ones they had...I think they were rated at 160lbs...if I remember right. I built mine about 8 years ago and they are still holding strong.