trailer theft

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ken gustafson, Nov 25, 2007.

1. ken gustafson

ken gustafson Inactive

Trying to find out if trailer theft is a problem or an issue in the industry. Would appreciate any and all feedback. If you have a concern or any ideas it would be helpful. Ken

2. Jscapes

Jscapes LawnSite Member

for the last few years, they've been stealing mostly backpack blowers off of trailers or large equipment left at sites. This year, there have been a lot of "everything" thefts where they steal all the equipment in your overnight storage place or steal the truck & trailer right off the street. Some trailers are lockable but they small locks you have to use can be cut easily. Chain everything because insurance will be high with a low or no theft deductible.

3. ken gustafson

ken gustafson Inactive

I would think that the chain would be just as easy to cut as the lock. Maybe just a big bolt cutter setup. I sell locks in all sizes and shapes...so if you would look at what is called a "puck lock" maybe you could tell me if that would work in the situation you were describing. The puck lock has no visible piece to cut. The main reason I use this type lock...very hard to defeat. Takes time to defeat. Time is a major enemy of the thief. I deal in mostly locking up trailers so if you would let me know if a " puck lock " would work that would be helpful in understanding. Ken

4. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

About 3 years back, someone cut my loaded trimmer rack right off the trailer. I know another fellow who had his trailer stolen in a parking lot during his lunch hour. The thief unhitched the trailer, put it on his truck and took off. The whole ordeal took the crook about 30 seconds to do. I am now a firm believer in LoJack or GPS tracking devices.

5. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

In response to the Puck Lock that was referred to above, I use them. I have three on my trailer. You are right, there is nothing to cut so to get it off you actually have to dismantle the door of the trailer.

As for theft in this industry, I guess alot depends on where you are. I have not had a problem and I hope that it continues that way.

The post above about having a trailer stolen right off the truck, that is the primary reason I pull a large enclosed trailer and Lock it onto the hitch ball.

6. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

we just had a Stihl blower taken...as for the trailer, i have a lock but the only one i could find that fits is about 5" long so there is alot to cut. havent really seen any other locks that look like they would fit. Thats the only reason i would want an enclosed trailer I feel like it would be harder to break into.

7. Guzman Properties

Guzman Properties LawnSite Senior Member

There was an attempt made on two of my enclosed trailers a couple weeks ago. I have Master coupler locks on all my trailers, plus a lock on the ball latch. I have round stainless steel locks on the doors, but the thief attempted to cut the lock hasps on the doors. I have replaced all my door locks with the "puck" style.

8. ken gustafson

ken gustafson Inactive

Thank you all for the feedback....am starting to get another picture of how things really are. Had no previous thoughts on so much " other " stuff going on mainly because I am a trailer lock manufacturer and a seller of locks of all types. Just never know what is going on by reading the paper. Plate is full now....trying to Patent other trailer locks. Just know that chains are easy to cut.... it is how my first trailer was stolen. Still have that burnt feeling and trying to slow down theft. Ken

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Couple years ago I had 2 Pequea 18 foot deckovers stolen from my equipment yard. They were chained together with a pretty hefty chain and lock as well.

10. Marek

Marek LawnSite Bronze Member

We raced motorcycles for years and lots of freinds had bikes stollen out of thier trailers that were locked. The thieves didnt worry about cutting the locks on the enclosed trailers they just cut the lasp that folds on the locking mechanism or the hinges . We had our enclosed trailer cleaned out on a job site 2 yrs ago, the guys were mowing and left it sitting open,they stole 3 trimmers 2 hedge trimmers 3 back pack blowers pole hedge trimmers and a chain saw all in broad daylight in the middle of a packed parking lot. One local company had his loaded up 20' enclosed dissapear, he un hooked at his shop one day then came in the next and it was gone. Its only going to get worse as the economy gets tighter so lock your tuff up ! And make sure its insured.