trailer tie downs?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by C.T. Lawn Care, Mar 16, 2004.

1. dgram8

dgram8 LawnSite Member

I use flush mounted d-rings got 30 of them installed in the floor . That way i can tie down anything! Yes strap everything down before trailer is moved even it is a short distance. Something could bounce off and break or cause a accident. Don't you use your seatbelt all the time. COMMON SENSE

2. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

We just bought a pair of fastraps made by green-touch. All I can say is I wish we had gotten these sooner. A little pricey ($22 -- $44/pair), but well worth it IMO. They have two V shaped brackets that bolt (actually screw, but we bolted ours) to the floor. Strap attatches over each wheel. Another great thing about them is it has a binder on it. Much like a chain binder.

We had 6 heavy duty D-rings on the deck, which worked good but took longer. We will be buying another pair for the walk behind soon. Don't even have to undo the strap really, just "unbind" it and slide it off of the tire (stays in loop).

Here's a pic. Note the binder mechanism. Holds the mower down very well and is very quick.

fastrap.jpg

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

There's no doubt that those FastStraps are great, but their price is insane. I'd pay $22 for a PAIR, but not one!.

I'll use ratchet straps until someone else starts making a knockoff of the FastStrap for much less (just like happened with their trimmer racks).

4. promower

promower LawnSite Bronze Member

I use ratchet straps, they are cheap and work fine. And yeah I do tie everything down from one job to the next last thing I need is my mower in the front seat of my truck or someones car.

5. Mlc gmc03

Mlc gmc03 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

i went to my local home depot and found large i bolts with i would say about a 3 in diameter ring on them they work fantastic you can thread them into the wood floor on the traier and then just use some kinda of ratchet strap, works great for me

6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

I ran a heavy-duty ratchet tie-down strap through the trailer floorboard, under the trailer and back up the opposite of my mower. My mower never budges.

7. firekilr2

firekilr2 LawnSite Member

Just think if you save 2 mins per job with fast straps and you do 15 lawns a day that is 30 mins saved. You could add a lawn a day or save labor costs. Pays for itself real fast/strap. hehe

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes like Grassfears said . You guys actually strap them down?. I have enough stuff on my trailer that nothing is going to move. You are only going to get an unsecured load fine if it actually falls on to the roadway.

9. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I always tie my stuff down, no matter how far I'm going. 6K worth of equipment rolling around on my trailer is not what I want going on when I'm trying to avoid idiots talking on their cell phones while driving.

10. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

It's the same here in Virginia.....State, County and Local cops will nail you big time if your equipment isn't properly secured.