1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer tips: Where to mount trimmer traps and second gate?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by walker-talker, Sep 26, 2002.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I assume that most are mounting your trimmer racks on the passenger side of your trailer. If so, do you mount yours to the left of the fender wells, on the fender wells or to the right of the fender wells. I am also considering a second gate in the future (maybe a winter project). If I do add the other gate, I would have to mount the racks to the left of the wheel well, but by mounting it there hold any disadvantages? Does anyone put the second gate on the driver side of the trailer? I think it would make the gate too steep and also not safe unloading onto the street.

Looking for some expierence here
  2. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

I happen to have a second gate on my trailer but never use it. It is on the right (passenger side). I have my trimmer rack mounted in the front of my trailer. That way, I can access my trimer from either side of the trailer. It comes in very handy that way.
  3. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

matt....don't put your rack behind the axle, it's much rougher riding.

i'm with mowerman90 i prefer on the front, if you ever use your trailer for mulch or anything, its accessable from both sides.

i had a trailer i made a front ramp for walkers, so i designed a swing away rack on the front that worked great.
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Thanks Dave, I thought maybe they would, but was not sure. I forgot to mention that I am also going to make the third gate on the front on the trailer. I wanted to stay away from mounting the trimmer racks on the driver side. I will think about the "swinging racks".

5. Hoosier Mower

Hoosier Mower LawnSite Member

I would'nt mount the trimmer traps on the passanger side either because of overhanging tress and stuff going down the road. I mount all of mine on the front of the trailer.
  6. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

Aaaahhhh the infamous front. I have never thought of that :rolleyes: I've never seen any mounted in the front around these parts either. My New Trimmer Racks (69.99) will be here Monday. I am going to have to try that out!:cool:
  7. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I always park across the street from where I'm working if I can, so the trimmer rack is on the D/S of the trailer. I park that way so I don't need to move the truck to blow off the gutter, or blow stuff into the truck.

BTW, I was considering putting it on the front, but you need to be on the right side of the tongue anyway, so I put other things there.