1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Tire life

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by lsylvain, Jan 12, 2010.

1. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I am thinking about scaling back to a single axle trailer since gas is predicted to take another big hike and also because the dual axle trailers seem to burn through tires quicker. I am wondering if people can give me some input into how many miles they are getting on their tires for single and double axle trailers?

I go through 2 sets a year it seems like. So I would save 50% by having only 2 tires to replace each time plus single axle trailers should last longer with tires since there is no drag on the rear tires when you turn.

Any thoughts?
  2. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I need tires on my single axle trailer after the second year with it.
  3. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

Are you under inflating the tires? I max mine out and get 2 yrs out of them. I also switched to radial tires. If you are not halling a lot of weight then switch to single axle. If you are maxing the weight of the trailer then stay with 2 axles.
  4. vanncann

vanncann LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds like you either need new axles or you need your current axles aligned. I get about 40,000 miles out of a set of radials, about 2.5 years.
  5. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

If your axle is straight and you buy long wearing tread you should get what the tire is rated at for mileage. That said I seem to have my right tire separate and self destruct every 1.5 years and never have problems on the left. I don't know if the issue is coincidental or if I have another problem.
  6. sjessen

sjessen LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Knoxville, Tn

I have a tandem axle trailer and am lucky to get 6000 miles per set of tires. Weight distribution has something to do with it because the front ones last twice as long as the rears. the main thing that kills tread life on this trailer is turns. The tread is worn off as the trailer goes around the corners.
  7. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

IDK Ive never worn out a set usually the tires find something in the road and have to be replaced before the tread is gone
  8. A Leaf Above

A Leaf Above LawnSite Member

Same here ..The rears always wear faster than the fronts ..I think it has to do with the tire dragging during turning ..I also do not use trailer tires anymore ..I run all car steel belted tires on my trailer..I dunno whether its the heat down here or what , but the trailer tires only last 3-4 months tops ...
  9. Mike Blevins

Mike Blevins LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm still on my first set of tires on my 2004 single axle trailer. I got an extra set of tire covers with my camper that work really well in the winter. I give the tires a good scrubbing and then on goes the tire protectant and the covers.
  10. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

Are you running singles or doubles?