trailer tire mileage?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by dbrandum, Sep 24, 2007.

1. dbrandum

dbrandum LawnSite Member

Just wondering what kind of mileage you guys are getting out of your trailer tires. I have a haulmark 7x14 tandem enclosed trailer, and haul about 2k lbs in it, I was just curious about what kind of mileage I should expect. Thanks in advance

2. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Don't expect too much, last year the tires lasted about 12k and this year it's alittle better should last me into next season so 16-18k. Trailer tires are garbage and the worst thing is there expensive if you go radial. Single axle trailer seem to be better, double axle eat up tires.

3. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

i have probably about 10k on my single axle trailer, and the tires look almost new! but as mentioned, above on the tandem axle trailers, they do eat tires, i only get about 8-10k out of my car trailer, then the tires are almost useless.

4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

oops double post

5. Snyderserv5060

Snyderserv5060 LawnSite Member

Generally I replace tires from wearing out with the exception of a few nails or splits due to road debris. They seem to last me a season or so but I have a lot of courts or small streets to turn around in...with a tandem axle they wear fast. I try to swap them around every so often (rotate) but I just stock up on a few in the shed for backup.

6. WALKER LANDSCAPE

WALKER LANDSCAPE LawnSite Bronze Member

We go through them one set a season. The front ones will wear quicker than the back ones. They are the ones that take alot of the turns. Do like Snyder said and ROTATE.

7. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

about two to three seasons sometimes a little less in our enclosed trailers. Depending on what we are hauling we get a little less in the dump trailer.

And yes, we try to rotate our tires once a season.

8. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

got 2 seasons on mine but will have to replace them before start of next season

9. Flood

Flood LawnSite Member

I have a 16 ft open trailer and only keep a zero turn and a 52'' ferris wb on it. I found that putting all the weight on the front of the trailer helps out(obviously). Also i was going through tires like every year because the trailer didnt sit level on the hitch and going aroung curves wore out the tires so what I did was, on the back of my dump truck the hitch is actually welded to the plate so I lowered it about 3 or 4'' and made sure the trailer wasn't on a decline or an incline:perfectly level helps out big time.

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

First set of tires hardly a season, but now 3-4+ years easy on my 6x12 single axle.

The trick I learned is first the tires that came with my trailer were absolute garbage bias-ply.
    What a crock, these things balloon so bad it's no wonder they wear to racing slicks, I studied the
    wear and could clearly see it was the ballooning that was doing it, this is no tire to put on a trailer.

I took it to the shop and bias-ply at $65 I was like no, so they recommended one step up, a radial tire at $80 or so.
    I asked how long it would last?
    Uhm, a year or two.

Well dang you know, what about another step up?
    He's like you want a B load rated tire?
    Why not, how much?
    $100, each.
    How long will it last?
    Not sure but the loads won't hardly phase it.
    No ballooning?
    Nope, your axle will crack before the tire bulges, it might bulge a little bit on heavy loads, holds 50 psi.
    You got it.

$220 once every 3-4+ years or $160 a year?
    Really I didn't have to replace my last set if one hadn't got a sidewall tear.
    Probably might can get 5 or even 6 years out of a set, not sure thou, but at least 3 full seasons.

That was the trick, in my case, one load rating over the highest recommended.
    It's in the sidewall, my tires are so tough I can run them flat on an empty trailer and they act as if still inflated.
    Keep it from flattening out under load and it lasts a lot longer.

Heck yeah, $100 dollar tires, woohoot.