1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Tire Prices

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ed2hess, May 13, 2011.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I am going thru these Carlisle ST205/75R15 tires like they are made of putty. Now Discount tires is loading all kind of extra stuff on so their tires run around $125. Northern Tool has the tire and rim for $100 but don't seem to have the 5 lug kind. Anybody got any sources..?

2. SNAPPER MAN

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

I get mine from my trailer dealer and I can get the 5 lug radials with rims for $120 a piece. Way better than the tires from discount tire.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know how you do it. I ran many trailers with passenger tires before finally buying a trailer with real trailer tires. They were a Chinese special and lasted just about 2000 miles. Absolutely horrible. I then put Carlisles on it, then Maxxis, then a set of Goodyears. None were great, but I suppose the Maxxis lasted slightly longer.

I'm back to passenger tires now. But I have heard good things about the Cooper trailer tire. They are just nearly impossible to get here locally.

4. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

my lil toyota pickup has the same size tires as my trailer, so when i need some i put the new ones on my truck and keep the old ones to go on my trailer

5. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I too have tried all the brands....and faithfully TWICE a week check the tire pressure.....and still they wear out at a ridiculously fast rate.....of all the things we have to spend money on in this business to keep stuff running, trailer tires are by far the biggest ripoff

6. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I've gotten about 12, 000 miles out of mine so far and will last the rest of the season. I just make sure that I have 45psi in them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I would check a few things, is the trailer level when hooked up, how many tight turns do you do in a day. These were 2 things we came across with one of our trailer's. We went through a set of rear (on a tandem) a season. We just get ours from a tire dealer, we just use whatever name brand he has and so far we've paid no more than 85.00 for just the tire.

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with that completely ...We have 32 tires on the ground and half will be replaced each year .

9. supercuts

supercuts LawnSite Silver Member

they were not st, but lowes had them on rims for $99.00 a piece. I hate trailer tires. goodyears are garbage. ive been using roadstar or roadmaster, i forget, still $105 ea. my turf tiger tires were $120 each! the front tires on my bob-cat predator pro were $55!! cant win, i think i bought 11 trailer tires last year, two sets of rear tires for ZTR's and one front set. oh, and 4 for my new truck, 2 for the old truck, and 1 front for the F550

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Yep....I forget about all our personal car tires and the mower tires I bet it would be like 200 tires rolling along. One good thing I started doing my own plugs finally and you can bet my Tirf Tiger tires will be plugged until hell freezes over.