Trailer tire wear

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Dixie Bluegrass, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Dixie Bluegrass

Dixie Bluegrass LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    Have a 2002 Pace American 7x14 dual axle enclosed trailer with independent torsion suspension. I pulled one of the wheel drums off to check the bearing and it looks fine. But since then, my tire on that one wheel is wearing severely on one side. I have since tightened up the bearing nut but it still seems to wear on one side. Do I need to replace the bearing or is there something that I am missing?

DSC00012.jpeg

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If a wheel bearing were so loose that it would cause that type of tire wear then it would destroy the bearing. More than likely it had this problem before you messed with the bearing and you just never noticed before. Is there any adjustability in the suspension? This type of wear is usually a camber problem.

3. airsoft1779

airsoft1779 LawnSite Member

If it was wearing like that one a car, then you would need to adjust the alignment of the wheel. Might try that and just check it's on right

4. vaacutabove

vaacutabove LawnSite Bronze Member

Is it a new trailer or did you get the tire already on the rim bc they probably were not balanced from the start is there a metal wheel weight anywhere on the rim? If not and the bearing is good i would say this is it
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

You have a bent axle.

6. Dixie Bluegrass

I have had the trailer for nearly 5 years now. If it were a bent axle, the tire on the other side would also wear unevenly but there is not evidence of that. None of the tires has balance weights on them. The mechanic said that it would not matter. Also, I don't think you can adjust the suspension.
    Looks like from your suggestions, I need to take this in to a trailer shop. It probably needs new brakes put on it too. Thanks for all your advice.

7. unkownfl

unkownfl LawnSite Gold Member

You can bend one side only on the axle. If you have normal tire wear on the other side its surely a bent axle. All of those torsion axles tend to bend pretty easily. Usually its the back axle because it sees the most weight because of placement of the bigger mower is in the back and of course it's furthest from the support of the hitch. Also, having the hitch to high will generate a lot of weight on the back axle. Check where the spindle goes into the vertical part of the axle. You could also have bent just the spindle but either way your going to need a new axle.

8. jsslawncare

jsslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Again- You have a bent axle. You could have just bent it in the last couple of weeks. Run the trailer off the road, hit a pothole, curb anything. Most likely you have Dexter 3500lb axles, they are very weak, I think.

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I got several trailers and I have various kind of wear patterns and the bottom line for me is replace the tires yearly. I would rotote that tire on rim and forget it. Ain't no way to align these cheap trailers....find a cheap tire dealer.

10. Dixie Bluegrass

Ok, I got a bent axle. Now that I need to get a new one which axle do you recommend? The tire wear is too severe to replace annually.