1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

trailer tire worn on the inside (single axel trailer))

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ant, Mar 5, 2011.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

Seems to be worn almost to the belts on the inside of doth tires. Normal? Is rotation recommended?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. Coastal Lawn Maintenance

Coastal Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

how long have you gone on them. sounds like you have a toe out. or you could have a bent axle.
  3. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a bent axle or installed wrong.
  4. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

Or overloaded.
  5. SouthValleyLandscapeMaint

SouthValleyLandscapeMaint LawnSite Member

bent axle from overloading the trailer
  6. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Worn bearings I have seen do this before.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I only ever owned one single axle trailer and it did the same thing. When I went to trade it in, they had to replace the axle, it was bent. Or in actuality, it was straight. There is supposed to be a slight bow UP on the axle but mine was perfectly straight.
  8. cms289

cms289 LawnSite Member

Bent, yep.

I had a single axle, I wanted brakes (was towing with a ranger), so when I replaced it I went with a 5200 torsion axle. It was TOTAL overkill, but it took the weak, known to bend 3500# axle out of the mix. Was only 100 bucks more than the 3500 axle. I never had uneven tire wear. All I did was rotate them when I did the truck!!! They guy i sold it to used it for his bike racing, see it all the time. He has never had an issue. I got a 16x7 cheap cause the axles and springs are bad, i am going to rebuild it for a Legend car, and I will be doing the same thing, 2 5200 for the 2 3500. I would not do it unless you use the torsion axles, as the leaf spring type would bounce too much IMO.