trailer tires wacked out?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, May 30, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

Ok, I picked up a used 16' by 7' trailer.

I'm going over it, re-doing parts of it here and there.

Already re-did the lights and the flooring. Gonna get trimmer racks on order real soon and all the accessories to make it look good. Got spray paint in the shed to cover it.

Took a look at the tires..

First off, it's a dual axle trailer. The passenger side, front axle is bent back. Looks like the previous owner hit a curb (or 2 or 3 or 18) and of course that tire is worn down, almost to the metal threads.

I'm gonna try to have a friend use a torch to heat the metal and use a come along to bend the axle back. Right now, it's gotta be like 30 degrees off on angle. It's obvious from an over-head view, especially when you've torn the floor of the trailer off and are putting a new one down. <G>

So, here's the tire situation: all tires at 20.5*8-10

Driver side, front: Goodyear Trailer Service tire, rated at 905 lbs cold at what looks to be @ 35 psi, cold, load type is "B". Tire is "ok"

Driver side, rear: Deeston, rated at 1535 lbs cold @ 90 psi, load rated at "E". Tire is in "good" condition.

Passenger side, front: Carlise 4-ply, rated at 1330 lbs @ 70 psi cold, tire is 100% SHOT to heck. Worthless.

Passenger side, rear: Deeston, rated at 1105 lbs @ 50 psi, cold, 3 ply, load type is "C". Tire is "ok".

I did searches on lawnsite, found nothing about trailer tires.

Did searches for trailer tires, and didn't find much. I was going to try to get 3 more Deeston, E rated tires to match the driver side rear, but so far can't find them around.

I did find Carlisle USA Trail HWY S 20.50/8.00-10.00 at Price is $51 each, and they are "E" Rated, which is the 1535 lbs limit.

Currently, I'm not towing much at all, but I want to be SAFE and have no tire problems, allowing for future growth. For the price of $40 per tire or $51, I'll do the extra $11 all around for an extra $44 to be safe and have a better piece of mind.

How bad is it to MIX tire brands?

Do I need to replace the 3 tires I listed as "ok" or "good" or should I get a set of all 4, new?

What kind of tires do you guys run (what brand), and where do you get them from?

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

doogie, the tires u r looking for can be purchased at east coast trailer, in englishtown. not sure, but my gutt feeling is that the previous owner did not worry about matching the tires cus he was in a hurry one day and had a flat, and couldnt wait for the trailer place to order the right one, so he took what he could get. good luck
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

DOO...--my feeling is that the mixed tires are no problem after the axle is fixed.

because you are running 4 I think passenger car tires would do fine.

almost no one here does the heavy E rated tires unless they are doing (or exceeding) trailer weight limit hauling or several hundred miles a day.

4. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

Passanger tires arent worth a flip on a trailer. Sidewalls are weak. Tread will be gone in no time. If you notice the tires in turns on your trailer. You drag them. Weak sidewalls break down.
    You are thinking right go ahead and spend the little extra money now. Save more later.

I would replace the axle. Once you heat the metal it will become weak . May cause trouble down the road. A new axle wont run much. I had two replaced last year. Ran just short of 200.00 Do the work yourself save another 100.
  5. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

Tractor Supply is one source for axle kits and about whatever you need for a trailer.
  6. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

Even cheaper than replacing is to go to a good axle shop and have them straighten the axle. Around here it costs $30 per axle to check them and another $60 per axle to straighten if needed.

I never worry about mixing tires on the trailer, but you do need to stay close to the same size. You can't be way off, but a little hasn't hurt my trailer any.
  7. m&m

m&m LawnSite Member

just my .02 worth........i would not do the torch trick on the will work for a whilebut will eventually bend again.......ive messed with many a trailers i my days and the best thing u can do is goto rednecks and buy a new axle ....i think it will be about 175.00 to 200.00..
    when u go down the road and hit what we call tire ditches( where the side of the road is rutted out) or broken pavement on side of road, this will contribute to bending again.
    seen and been there and done it
    i am much happier with the new axles

rednecks is nuttin but a trailer supply place with other stuff
  8. Doogiegh

Hey guys, thanks for everyone's advice.

I think I'll stop by a trailer shop first to see what they recommend. I really don't want to spend alot of money on a new axle if I don't have to, cause I'm simply not towing alot of weight overall for right now. And being that it's a dual axle trailer, I have plenty of tow capacity for right now, not being used 100% for sure.

I will definatly be checking more into the tires; I know there is one "good" one, 2 "ok's" and 1 that is shot. I might get 2 new tires, so that I have 2 new, 1 good, 1 ok, and I'll use the worse of them as a spare, with the "shot" one into the garbage.

Does anyone "rotate" their trailer tires, or is there simply no need to do that?

Any particular brand of tire you use, or doesn't matter?

Bobby - thanks for the info, I'll check out Action Yamaha and Middlesex mower here since they both sell trailers and lots of them. There are also very close by, but I'll also look up the Englishtown place since you know for sure they have the tires. :)

grasshog and geogun - I think you're right, I read in a number of places that passenger car tires for trailers are no good at all because of the high and flexible sidewall causes way way too much wear.

tony - I'll check out tractor supply, I did on the internet quickly, but didn't find anything helpful (yet)

Thanks for the help brickman and M&M.

9. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I just got 4 from Northern Tool & Equ, listed for $ 76.00 each with rim, rated C 1710 lbs, F78-14's.

10. Doogiegh

I'm having a hard time finding any information about 20.5*8-10 tire size on here, as well as even doing a search on google.

Did find that Carlise makes them in the USA trail, but didn't find a dealer yet online that has them.. Weird eh?

Is 20.5*8-10 a really weird size?

Is that what any of you guys are running on your trailers today?