trailer tires worn after 2000 miles.

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by justgeorge, Aug 13, 2014.

1. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

Bought a new tandem open trailer in April. For the first couple of months I was running a straight trailer hitch which had the trailer not running as flat as it should be (but it did keep the mower deck from scraping coming off the trailer). Then I put on a 4" drop hitch, which made the trailer run level, but I barely could get the removable trailer jack wheel on and off. Now I have a 2" drop to avoid that problem.

Anyway, between the trailer not running perfectly flat and all the turning around we do in cul-de-sacs on our route the back tires are already bald. The original tires are cheap TaskMaster, I think. What would be a good hard rubber longer lasting tire to replace these with?

2. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Carlisle trailer tires seem to last us the longest.

3. WayneJessie

WayneJessie LawnSite Member

Welcome to the world of Chinese trailer tires. It really irritates me that no matter what you spend on a trailer the tires are more than likely junk. I didn't get one year out of the set that came on my latest trailer. The trailer dealer says he's seen them literally rot off the wheels in less than a year if the trailer is left out in the sunshine:confused: I guess I was supposed to park it in my living room.

4. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Its just part of it. My trailer sits level and the back is the fastest to go. I have yet to find an American tire that has the proper load range and size for a trailer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

Your turning at 90 degrees. That eats the rear tires. You can't do that. Big wide turns for all turns
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

Too often I don't have a choice, whether it's turning around in a cul-de-sac or backing into (and pulling out of) my side-entry garage.

Was just into Tire Discounters getting tires on my wife's car and he was recommending GoodRide. While sitting there I did some searching and apparently ALL trailer tires are now made in China, even Goodyear.

7. ron mexico75

ron mexico75 LawnSite Bronze Member

I guess like another poster said, check out Carlisle. I was reading through the FAQ section of their site. This is what they said;

Where are Carlisle tires made?

Depending upon which Carlisle tire you select, the tire could have been made in a U.S. factory or elsewhere. We are an American company committed to American manufacturing and standards

8. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

Well if you say you don't have a choice then your gunna br eating through tires. Nature of the beast. Sharp turns outter tires scrub. Or try other turning options.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. BIG NICKY

BIG NICKY LawnSite Member

10. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

Truck tires aren't built with the same road forces in mind. Sure people do it. You're not going to make anything last longer

It's a disadvantage of a dual trailer. Nothing you can do about it
    Posted via Mobile Device