Trailer tires?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Tharrell, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

What BRAND tires are you using on your trailers? Tony

2. weeble67

weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member

I run BFG's Radials

3. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

In a past life I worked as a Test Engineer in the automotive industry. The businesses I worked for specialized in tires and wheels.

Experience tells me, MICHELIN is the way to go. They are generally pretty pricey but they wear like iron and hold up well in severe operating conditions. (overloaded, over/under pressure). They put a lot of engineering into their products.

Q

4. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

BFG and Michelin, they make trailer tires? I learned a lot about trailer tires last week after one of mine blew and shredded a trailer fender. I'm not going to use anything but ST designated trailer tires. I'm leaning towards the Goodyear Marathons. Tony

5. JimQ

JimQ LawnSite Bronze Member

Good point. ST (Special Trailer) tires generally have a stiffer sidewall. The trailer is less prone to sway especially on single axle trailers.

Q

6. scottishmaximus

scottishmaximus LawnSite Senior Member
    from ohio

It is my understanding that trailer tires don't have the testing that automobile tires do.

Going with experience, i have yet to find a nice trailer tire. I have had the worst luck with Carlisles and have seen blowout after blowout and i'm within the weight tolerences, max psi, and have checked the alignment. Search the internet and you'll see all kinds of problems with them, but maybe they have changed them. I put my faith in a truck tire over a trailer tire.

7. BrianC636

BrianC636 LawnSite Member

On my enclosed trailer I run the Maxxis M8008 (I think) radial. Had great luck with them so far.

8. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

Jim Q what model of tire do you use?

9. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I ran automobile tires on my trailers for years and years. Three years ago I bought an Anderson 16' open with real trailer tires. They were Chinese junk and were worn out in 2k miles...I **** you not! I was so mad about it, I parked that brand new trailer and started using my old one. After 8 months I finally dragged it down to put new tires on it. Figuring it was just isolated to that particular brand, I made the decision to stick with ST tires. I bought Maxxis trailer tires to replace them. They lasted right at 1 year. I replaced those with Marathons. I have since replaced two of those, and need to replace the other two. The first Marathons I bought were made in New Zealand, the rest have been made in China. I don't really see any difference in their wear, though I hate buying things made in China.

I figure I am only getting 7 or 8k miles out of them. Almost all of my miles are local with a bunch of tight turning, and that is what is to blame for their short life. Everytime I have gone tire shopping I have been looking for Coopers, but no one ever seems to be able to get them. Cooper seems to have a tough time keeping up with demand on these US-made trailer tires. If I can't find Coopers the next this time I may go with the Kumho trailer tire. I have heard decent reports on them. I will need to buy new wheels, as they only make a 14" version of the 857. But my wheels are pretty well trashed and they are cheap enough to justify. The 857 is a D-load tire instead of a C.

I can't help but think how much longer the old car tires lasted. I may get sick of forking over $400 for new trailer tires every time and go back to them.

10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

The company I work for sells trailer tires and parts. The buyer next to me buys all of our tires. I believe its Titan Tire that has the outgoing message against the Chinese tires. Might want to try them.