trailer tires

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ukcats, May 22, 2010.

1. ukcats

ukcats LawnSite Member

Just curious how many people actually use the regular trailer tires or buy automobile tires?
  2. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

we buy 10 ply trailer tires, they are tougher and last longer from punctures, but they are not cheap
  3. FYS777

FYS777 LawnSite Silver Member

i use regular tires, you can buy three sets for the price of one here. and usually i can get three seasons out of one set. but you have to know i have a load of lawn mowing equipment, one trailer 16 foot, one trailer 12 foot!!! about 300 hundred miles a week using auto tires. my trailers are both double axle.
  4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I try and remember to ALWAYS consider the labor cost in the replacement!
    Even if the tire costs 2x as much and it only lasts 2x as long it might still be better seeing how it only has to be installed once?

That and the tougher tires usually last a lot longer than 2x

MS_SURVEYOR LawnSite Bronze Member

Trailer tires are rated for heavier loads, and stay cooler under load. They last longer.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

7. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Ive always used the automotive tires on all my trailers, usually the really used ones too, without hardly any tread on them, and never had any problems, but the maximum I haul is 3 WBs, so thats not alot of weight, but if you are hauling more than that regularly, you will need real trailer tires. I have more problems picking up nails, glass, etc, and have to plug my trailer tires all the time!!
  8. outlaw1960

outlaw1960 LawnSite Senior Member
    from denver

9. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

I run Maxxis M8008. I have a couple 26' enclosed trailers loaded with 3 riders and more hand held equipment than I care for. Usually get about 4 seasons out of them. Roughly 400 miles a week
  10. mbrew

mbrew LawnSite Senior Member

Light Truck (LT) and multi ply trailer tires are much more resistant to puncture than car tires (P series). I did have a flat on my truck the other day, the first in 5 years, but with the lousy places I go I would have constant problems with P series tires. I'm in and out of dumps and metal recycling places every week.