Trailer tires

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by JMK Lawn Service, Feb 13, 2012.

1. JMK Lawn Service

JMK Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Searched around and found a few guys running Carlisle and marathons and having good luck with them. I got some junk tires that barely lasted one season. I have heard bad things about carlisle so i am leaning toward marathons. What are you guys running and where do you guys usually get your tires? Thanks a lot

2. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

I run a brand called Triangle. I did some research on ST (trailer) tires and they had good reviews for wear and tear and durability. So far so good, they still look new and I curb check all the time. Spent nearly $400 for 3 tires ( one spare) after tax.

3. Trailer Parts Superstore

Trailer Parts Superstore Inactive

What size tire are you using an ST205/75/R14?

Eastern

4. JMK Lawn Service

I belive its a 205/75/15. I was also thinking about going up to 215/75/15, slow them down a little bit but then my ramp angle would be greater.
    Ill have to look into the tirangles. Thanks

5. Trailer Parts Superstore

Trailer Parts Superstore Inactive

With the difference in the weight capacity and overall diameter you are not going to notice much of a difference between the 205 and 215 series. The ST215/75/15 is not nearly as popular of a size so finding the 205's is going to be much easier if you are in a pinch. We offer the 205 in radial and bias ply if you are interested.

http://www.easternmarine.com/em_store/trailertires/

6. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

The carlisle tires on my new enclosed didnt even last a year for the back axle tires! I go through alot of culdesacs where they drag alot but goll dang for as expensive as they are they shouldnt be SHOT after a year! I now run cheap cheap used tires on my trailers. Spent $40 on a used car tire from a local shop and it held up perfectly fine being on the back axle. No need for talk about safety issues here, tires have held up fine and much better than spending $130 on a tire and having it get nails or beat up.

7. ParkWelding

ParkWelding LawnSite Member

Just curious, do you have leaf spring or torsion axles?

8. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

Trailer tires do not last, not even the good ones. Carlisle's are the worst.

9. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

What about putting truck tires and wheels on a trailer? Just truck tires of the same size?
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. JMK Lawn Service

If i could find a good set the right size, i will buy them. Because they would look better and work better and last longer. BUT finding that would be way harder then just buying a decent set of trailer tires. Good idea though