Trailer Tires

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by cnymowing, Mar 30, 2013.

1. cnymowing

cnymowing LawnSite Member

I have a question regarding trailer tires... My 7x16' landscape trailer is currently running st205/75D15 bias ply tires, and I have been getting less than a season of use before they are totally bald.

I need to replace them and would like to not have to buy another set in August. I was thinking of putting 225's on it so I can get load range D tires...

So I guess my question is, can I expect better or worse wear resistance with the wider tires? I know that the harder the rubber compound is, the less they will wear, Does anyone have a recommendation on a hard rubber trailer tire?

Also, would switching to a radial help my situation?

I'm asking here just because any time I go into a tire shop and start talking about trailer tires I get looked at like I have 6 heads, and just end up with the same crappy tires that I have to replace 4 months later.

2. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

You need to go to a commercial tire place not your local car tire shop. I got some a few years back from a commercial dealer and have 4 years on them. Also determine why they wearing out so quick. Is trailer level? Is axle square? I have seen lots of people complain about tires wearing out to fast only to find the actual trailer is at fault not the tires.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. jackal

jackal LawnSite Senior Member

Tandem axel trailers will always grind the back tires off because of the way they turn. Just watch the back tires when you turn around in a cul de sac. I have tried all different kinds of tires and none last more than a season. I buy the cheapest ones I can get and fill them with slime and run em till the're bald.

I run michelin's on my truck and they last forever, I've tried them on the trailer and gone in no time.

4. Colaguy

Colaguy LawnSite Senior Member

5. jackal

jackal LawnSite Senior Member

I bought 4 of those used and they are pretty good.

6. TMAC669

TMAC669 LawnSite Member
    from N/A

Try radials instead of bias ply.

7. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

Radial D range. I get 2 years of running out of them.

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

You should never put an automotive tire on a tandem axle trailer. Trailer tires are designed to withstand twisting forces that auto tires are not designed for.

9. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

And the DOT will write you up good if they are in nazi mode.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The tires that Carlisle puts out are trash less than one year..bias or radial......I got the best use out of some car tires . I am moving up to a 8Ply tire made by Hercules pn63959. These tires are handled by local mower shop and will run about $85. Gotta believe getting more plys will help.