Trailer Tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Westbrooklawn, Apr 24, 2003.

1. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have been running 14 " bias ply Carlisle trailer tires on my dual axle 6.5'x14' trailer. I am only getting about 4000 miles max from a set of tires. The wear is uniform across the tire, and they are balanced.

Does anyone else have the same problem, or a better solution? I am considering going with a less expensive radial passenger car tire. My total weight with trailer is probably never over 3000lb.

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Dual axle trailers are notorious for consuming tire tread (lots of scuffing when maneuvering in tight places but only 3k is really excessive wear.. Are you maintaining pressure at recommended levels, I keep my Good Year's at 60 psi and will get three years out of this set (20 - 30k miles).. No matter what the mileage I prefer the dual axle for the smooth ride the trailer contents gets, a backup tire in case of a flat and multi wheel brakes.
  3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 6.5' x 14' single axle trailer. Same thing was happening. For me it ended up that I didn't have enough tongue weight. When I showed the tires to the dealer, he saw an irregular wear pattern, thus the tires wearing out faster. Said it was because the trailer could have been swaying (even a little without me really noticing). Seems to be corrected now that I have readjusted the weight on the trailer. Just my .02 cents.
  4. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup I've always noticed this on tandum axles, I think its just the way they are
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I run steel belted radials, granted, but my trailer also has what is called "cambered" axles. That is, the axle is bent so it bows slightly, so when there is weight put on it, it straightens. With this, I still have to do a rotation about every two years, and replace about every four. I also do replacements for the tires that end up with road damage too severe to repair. That can never BE the tires with the most wear, though. It always has to be one of the BETTER tires!:rolleyes:
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Tandem axle trailers like to eat tires but you have something seriously wrong with the short mileage you are getting out of a set. I would take the trailer in have it checked was to what is possible causing the problem. Are you maintaining tire pressure, rotating tires and getting the wheels balanced each time you get a new set of tires?

7. TaussigLawnCare

TaussigLawnCare LawnSite Member

haha the guy I got my trailer from put those 100k mile waranty tires on and I rub them on curbs and stuff and mess them up and get a new set for free everytime I just have to bring them to the guy I bought it from and he goes and gets new ones for me.
  8. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I had a set of Carlisle tires on my last trailer, they only lasted 2 seasons and had to be replaced. My new trailer has Good Year (Marathon?) tires on it and after 2 seasons they still look almost brand new. I don't know if it is the tires or perhaps the axles were not aligned properly on my last trailer. I have had several mechanic friends tell me that Carlisle make the best trailer tires but in my experience they didn't last as long as the Good Year tires.

9. Westbrooklawn

Westbrooklawn LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the comments so far. To answer some of the questions that have been tires are always balanced when installed, I maintain the proper tire pressure, the tires track well... so alignment doesn't seem to be an issue, the tread wear is even across the tires with no cupping or uneven wear. I don't rotate the tires since the wear seems so even.

I have brakes on one axle, but the wear on those tires is no different from the others.

Any other ideas? Back to part of my original question, do any of you run radial passenger car tires on your trailers, and if so does that create any safety or performance issues?
  10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have Pathfinder steel belted radials on my trailer, (as I stated in my post), and no, I can't see where it would create any safety issues... Maybe give a little smoother ride....