Lawn Care Forum banner

Trailer too Heavy?

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Lawn Masters 
#1 ·
I'm planning on buying a new 14x7 enclosed haulmark trailer. I have a 1994 gmc 1500 extended cab that i am going to be pulling it with. My neighbor told me that this trailer would put a huge strain on my truck when i pull it. the trailer weighs 1800 pounds i think. Would this trailer be too heavy to pull?

#2 ·
go online and look up the towing capacity of the gmc 1500 with the gear and engine set that you have.

My trailer weighs near to that and I pull it with an '84 Dodge D250 with no problems.

#3 ·
where should i go to find out that info?

#4 ·
does an enclosed trailer create a lot of wind resistance?

#6 ·
We have pulled enclosed trailer with 1/2 ton trucks for years. I do like having a larger V8 if I am going on interstate. In our area we need oil cooler for transmission. We started pulling our dual axle with a van that has a 350V8 trying to save a little gas money. It is doing fine.

#7 ·
Just go to the chevy / GM website and look at the current model that is most similar to yours and deduct 15-20% off the towing capacity listed and you should be fine.

With towing, it isn't so much the engine and transmission as the brakes that you need to be concerned with. If the trailer has electric brakes and you have the brake control box you should be fine.

#9 ·
thanks for the replies

#10 ·
GreenGrassEarnsCash said:
I'm planning on buying a new 14x7 enclosed haulmark trailer. I have a 1994 gmc 1500 extended cab that i am going to be pulling it with. My neighbor told me that this trailer would put a huge strain on my truck when i pull it. the trailer weighs 1800 pounds i think. Would this trailer be too heavy to pull?
Your neighbor doesn't know what he's talking about, I can't think of any sigle axle lawn trailer thats too heavy for a 1/2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.