trailer tool box

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by bobcatnj, May 16, 2007.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

anyone use the truck mount tool box on a trailer tongue? if im spending 200 something on a trailer tongue box, i mind as well get a bigger one for around the same price. will it work?

2. Rizzo

Rizzo LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

The thing you have to watch for is hitting the box when backing or turning sharp as using the truck box will be wider.

3. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Rizzo is correct ... I have a tongue box on my trailer, it is 34" wide ... it has plenty of room !!

4. Duncan90si

Duncan90si LawnSite Member

I don't know if you have any stores in your area, but Tractor Supply Co. usually has a few different trailer tongue boxes.

Here is an aluminum one. Not sure of the price.
    http://www.mytscstore.com/detail.asp?pcID=3&paID=1020&sonID=753&page=1&productID=28764

They also have a black plastic one too. (its not on their website) I just bought on of them. They are water tight, lockable, obviously rust free and weigh about only 5 lbs. The price was right too: $109 plus tax.

5. howardsells2000

howardsells2000 LawnSite Senior Member

I put a truck box on the tongue of my trailer. It was called a tool chest. It is about 5 feet wide. However it does hit the corner of my bumper if I turn really sharp or backing and turning sharp. After the first time it hit and scraped the paint on my bumper it really hasn't caused any more damage. Of course I wish it didn't scatch the paint but now I'm used to it. I try to keep my truck in nice condition but I have to remember it is a work truck and will get a few scratches here and there. You will have a lot more room with one of these instead of the tongue boxes.

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Both my trailers won't allow a tool box since the trailer jack handle would be hitting it when lowering and raising the tongue.:confused:

7. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

i have a plastic tool box on the tongue of my trailer with a top wind jack. I just welded a piece of metal on the jack to raise the handle above the tool box. i would post a pic but the weld didn't hold up all that well, will have to do it agian, not that big a deal takes two seconds to do.

8. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Check ebay.

I bought a new one about a year ago from some ebay store. It was the black plastic with locking hasp on it and I paid $90. It came in the box. I put it on my open trailer and had NO problems and it was very handy.

9. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

You may be able to get a longer ball mount to prevent the tool box hitting the bumper when turning. Just a thought.

Chris

10. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

I have been running truck boxes for years, Heres a tip, by a toolbox off of a nissan or other small truck, unless you have a really short tongue or using a bumper ball, your bumper will hit the trailer corner before it hits the tool box. One of my trailers has a 5ft tongue and I use a full size truck box on it and havent bent it yet and I have bent my bumper. I also use reese slide in hitches and not just a bumper ball. I usually by my boxes used at the flea market. Why pay $200 for an aluminum tool box when you can get a used one for $50-$75 bucks and buy new locks at Lowes.