trailer trouble

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wattsup, Mar 26, 2002.

1. wattsup

wattsup LawnSite Member

I have a Toyota Tundra with a V-8. It pulls fine, but the trailer I pull is so heavy it weighs down the back too much. I have tried positioning the equipment as to get the weight off the truck. That did not work. The trailer unloaded weighs down my truck. I want helper springs, but I do not know the pros/cons or where to buy such a thing. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  2. karl klein

karl klein LawnSite Member

i don't no much about helper springs but i have air bags and LOVE THEM
  3. LawnCrafters

LawnCrafters LawnSite Member

Sounds like you need a 3/4 ton.
    Helper springs could solve the problem of weighing down the back. But if the trailer is heavy enough to do that, it's probably alot of strain on the drivetrain of your truck.
    By the way, is it a single or double axle trailer?
  4. wattsup

wattsup LawnSite Member

My trailer is a double axle 16X7X7 enclosed. I would love to have a 3/4 ton truck. My finances will not allow another vehicle this year. My only option is to upgrade the suspension on this vehicle.
  5. wattsup

wattsup LawnSite Member

Karl Klein, what are airbags, how do they work, how much, etc???? Thank you for your help.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

That's a pretty good-sized trailer for that size truck. Sorry to tell you this, either get a larger truck or a lighter trailer.
  7. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

Sound like you may just need a weight distributing hitch. Have you considered this?
  8. Krimick

Krimick LawnSite Member

One of my trucks is a F150 and I put airbags in the front so that I could plow and it helped quite a bit. Airbags are not expensive and I had my installed for under 150.

I've never had to mess with the rear suspension, as my towing truck is a 3/4 heavy duty package. It sounds like that trailor is pretty heavy and is going to way down your Tundra no matter what you do. I'd take the truck into a shop that does installs for dump boxes, they should have the know how on what to do inorder to strenghten your rear suspension.
  9. Mow&Snow

Mow&Snow LawnSite Senior Member

10. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

either get airbags or the helper springs, i agree with them, tundras a nice truck, and enclosed trailers are great, but the two dont go together