Trailer & truck tire Load ranges E& F?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

My 06 F350 tires say

Load Rage E and say max weight of 3698 at 80psi , theyre Continental contact something 275/75/18s

My Dump trailer tires say

Load Rage F and say max weight of 3098 at 86psi, theyre Mastercraft utility trailer tires, 8 ply or something, not a car/truck tire.

I know most enclosed trailers have load range C or D tires in the 205/60/15 class range. My enclosed trailer tires are load range E as well and support 12k in total weight or 3k per tire. Whats up here?

If i load up this trailer even to max weight, which im sure im over sometimes at 14,000 lbs, thats 600lbs over IF my tires were at 86psi, which I realized since i got it they were only at ~65-70, now at 82~. When i have it full, a 7 mile trip and the tires on a warm day are pretty hot, i mean 115deg +.

Did they put on a cheap or the wrong tires?

For reference, ive never gotten my open 10k trailer tires near this warm with a total weight of 8k, or my enclosed trailer that can carry 12k weighting in at 10.5k.

Keep in mind, say if its over filled to 15,000 lbs of sand or stone, which sometimes i cant control if i order 10k they dump 11k by mistake with a big loader, 1500-2000lbs is on the hitch of the trailer not really on the tires.

2. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

not exactly sure what your asking, your wondering why your tires get hot when overloaded?

different compounds in tires and how the weight is distributed on those tires will make the tire temps vary.

3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

The load range F tires are 12ply load range G are 14 ply and E is 10 ply.

I think if you buy a commercial grade 10 ply tire like a Michelin XPS Rib or a Bridgestone V-Steel you should be fine.

With these new odd ball sized tires I don't know much about. The commercial grade tires were 7.50R-16G 235/85R16EG and 225/70-19.5.

4. SimonCX

SimonCX LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure about why the tire are so warm but I put cheaper tires on my trailer last year and what a big mistake. Last years tires where worn completly in one season, this year I bought goodyear radial for the trailer and I have more miles on the tires this year then last and they still look new. I learned that it's not worth the $30 a tire if your going to change them after one season. Also watch out for the Continental's in the winter they have to be the worst tires that you can have for snow. I almost wrecked my truck last year because they lost traction on a part of road that I should not have even been in 4x4. Hopefully my goodyears will be in tomorrow because my Continental's are done after only 30k.

5. Ramairfreak98ss

im not always overloaded, driving empty they still get quite warm, wheras my other trailer tires dont break a sweat.

6. Ramairfreak98ss

yeah i didnt think the contis were too great last winter. Yeah the truck empty handles better in snow than my f150s but probably because they weigh more. I was in my buddies 00 dodge 1500 truck years ago that was jacked up, big wide tires and all, we rode through 8" of snow at 60mph down the highway when no one else was out there... hed hit the brakes and it would bite in like crazy, my f350 isnt like that lol.

I guess my real question is if these 4 tires on my dump trailer are "shiat" tires and i should be looking for a nice replacement soon or something else is wrong.

They seem firm and stiff while driving with a load but none of my trailers are rated to hold MORE than the tires themselves ya know.

7. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at your axle ratings. If you have 6K axles then you have the right tires. Like you said, part of the trailer total weight is tongue weight, so if you have 14K total you are not overloaded if 2K is tongue weight. If the tires are overloaded, they're gonna get hot.

8. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

The pressure on the side wall is a cold inflation pressure. Inflate the tires to that pressure when they are cold. I would also get with a knowledgeable commerical tire company and find tires that are rated to handle the load you are carrying. In pounds, not just ply rating / load range.

I have seen D range truck tires that are rated well over 3000 pounds, because they were oversized. They have more air in them and can support more weight. They were only 8 ply rating tires, tho, so I did not consider them for use on my truck; I want as tough a tire as I can get.

I recently started moving to load range E tires on my trailer, even though I only gross at 10,000# max. They're tougher and last longer.

Tires are definitely a consumable item, and a good relationship with a good tire man is a real handy thing to have.

9. Eclipse

Eclipse LawnSite Bronze Member

Are they radial tires? If not that would explain why they are getting rather warm.

Many trailer MFG's will skimp on the tires to keep the overall cost of the trailer down.

10. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Um, I prefer to just buy tires from mine, but to each their own..:laugh: :laugh:

Sorry man, just yankin' your chain...:drinkup: