trailer update 9-1-04

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by FrankenScagMachines, Sep 1, 2004.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Last night i got the springs put on (they had to wait for paint). I cut a PVC pipe in half lengthways and screwed one half to the trailer rail under each spring so they wouldn't slap around and make noise and destroy the paint, causing rust. Works like a charm. I put the wheels on it and the gate latch pins. I made cable lanyards for each latch pin so that you don't worry about where to put them or losing them. just pull the hairpin and snap it on the cable then pull the big pin and let it hang :D cheap and easy. was going to wire the brakes but the breakaway kit from Napa when i opened it, didn't have the charger in it for some reason :confused:
    Got the VIN no. plate mounted too.

img00002.jpg

2. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

i wanted the wheels to match the truck, so they are all painted the same color (black hubs, light grey rims). Man it's gonna look real slick hooked behind that big dually :)

Here's the lanyards. everyone ought to do this, going to be nice not losing or dropping the pins anymore :) They are 3/4" diameter latch pins and everything is lined up so slick that they slide in perfectly, no wiggling the gate like on the 6x12 :)

img00003.jpg

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Kinda tricky to make the stops and latches for the side gate, without having a traditional rail on either side of it. Just having stand alone latch posts was a little different approach. Had to brace them just right at the bottom but they are strong and stay out of the way :)

img00004.jpg

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I made the side gate taper inward so that it wouldn't catch on signs, mailboxes, etc. even if it went into a pothole or the road was not level. Plus it keeps it from falling over when your latching/unlatching it.

here's one of the springs on the rear gate:

img00005.jpg

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

I made the spring mounts on the rails to be bolt on (in the pic above) so that they can be adjusted to compensate if the springs ever get a little tired or i decide i want a different amount of tension on them.

img00008.jpg

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Since i made the rear gate an extra foot long over most gates (most are 4', this is 5'), it is not as steep. mower should not bottom out on it :) Note that it is sitting on top of a 1"x board on the ground there.

img00010.jpg

7. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Side gate down. . 15 characters now?

img00013.jpg

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Last one for now.. better shot of the side gate latch arms and the pin lanyards in action :D

img00014.jpg

9. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks great. What u gonna use for the floor.

10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

another fine looking job your doing