trailer vs truck

Discussion in 'Seal Coating Forum' started by viper881, Mar 27, 2012.

1. viper881

viper881 LawnSite Member

Im looking at getting a trailer mounted unit instead of one to put on a truck mainly so I dont have to buy a seprate vehicle with all of that carrying costs. Anyone have input on either one on why you like what you have vs the other. I know backing up the trailer is not as easy as just having it on a truck. And its just more on the road when finishing a job up leading to the streeet. What else have you guys learned with your experience.

2. prestige101

prestige101 LawnSite Member

hey viper it all depends on what you feel comfortable with i tanked my truck and trailer my edgers blowers and what ever else i need because sometimes i can get in were a truck and trailer cant:clapping:

3. pgrzes

pgrzes LawnSite Member

Hows your local Municipalities with Landscape type trailers??? Around Pa. they are targets!!! You have Insurance with a truck But as Prestige stated a truck can be a bit easier to get around in. I have a trailer mounted rig and am looking to build a second unit on an Isuzu Npr Chassis. I would feel more comfy. with a crew in a truck like that rather then pulling a trailer.

4. donmac1970

donmac1970 LawnSite Member

If your only sealer rig is in a truck and you have a major breakdown. your out of business till its fixed. On a trailer you can at least rent a truck if you need to....

5. sealcutter

sealcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

Truck mount is nice and have their place. I have a truck mount and two trailers and couldn't agree more with pgrzes in pa. all the local DOT inspectors target sealcoaters in general. It seem like every municipalities have their own inspectors now its so bad here that we will call each other to tell them where they are set up and avoid that area.

6. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Viper, if you still want to use a trailer, I have a nice one. I moved my set up to one of my stake trucks but I still have the trailer it was on. It is a 4 x 8 tandem rated for 11k. New tires and brakes on both axles. I just repainted it. I think I have a pic of it from when they were painting it. I will post it when I find it.

7. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Here is the trailer. It is painted inside and out in red and the wheels are now black.

hdtrailer.jpg

8. viper881

viper881 LawnSite Member

Looks nice metro but I don't think that will be long enough
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

Get a skid mounted unit , 300 gallon , it will go in a truck or a trailer . What ever works for you . I have 2 trailer mounted , a 550 and a 200 gallon . I use my trucks for other things besides sealing .