Trailer vs. Van

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by VLM, Feb 5, 2001.

1. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

I know most of you probably use open trailers as did I for several years until I switched over to a cargo van. I'm getting a high cube van this year and am looking forward to the extra space. What do you all think?

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Extra Space? How much space can you get out of a van more than a trailer? I would think you would get more from a trailer. Plus what are you going to use as ramps? Getting in and out ,ducking each time you enter. I definitely wouldn't like it...but my opinion doesn't matter.

3. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I thought about a cube van also but just didn't like the idea as much as an enclosed trailer. Both are nice for security reasons like theft or vandalism, when it rains, stuff like that. But then I would have to dedicate the use of that vehicle solely for that. At the end of the day I can drop my trailer and still have a vehicle to go to the races or whatever. LoneStar, I think he's talking about a regular cube van and those are plenty tall in the back to stand up in. Besides, your opinion matters. The ramp thing would probably be a pain in the butt to figure out though, unless it had a lift-gate or something. I don't even know what's on the back of those "Supertrucks" or whatever they're called that that one guy builds for the green industry. Anyways, just my 2 cents.You can do a search on this also VLM and I know there were posts about this subject before. Good luck with whatever you decide.
    Randy

4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We had a truck go down when we had just one and wound up getting a deal on a penske moving truck. Fortunately it was low to the ground and we just used wood ramps with the ramp-arts kit to load and unload. I have to agree with kirby on this one. Although it wasnt too bad manuvering on and off with the ramps in was a PITA with that overhead door height.
    I think I like the fuel efficiency and ceiling height of trailers w/ 2'high sides.

Just my .02
    kris

5. VLM

VLM LawnSite Member

Yes Randy I'm talking about the Ford High Cube. The one I'm looking at is a 14 ft version but there is also a 16. The advantages to me outweigh the drawbacks. As you said, you don't have to worry about theft or weather and you can put things in it you wouldn't want to leave in an open trailer, for instance nice tools like grinders, chain saws etc. As for the ramp, you can have one made that simply slides underneath the floor of the cube. Another consideration is the smell, but that doesn't bother me. When I had my 14' open trailer I was constantly locking things up, hitching and unhitching. Now I just get in and go and I almost never get to a job without the tool I need, it's all there. I also went through 2 sets of brakes and rotors in as many years and blew my clutch, granted I was driving a Toyota 4X4. Lonestar thanks for your input, that's why I asked. I just wonder why more guys dont use vans, maybe I'm missing something.

6. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you been drinking today Kris? I didn't see Kirby posting on this thread...
    I'm not real familiar with cube vans I was actually thinking about regular vans. To add to my opinion I do like the Super Lawn Trucks, but I would still stick with the trailers.

7. kutnkru

Sorry gettin my ear chewed off for not payin attention to her and trying to take care of important business at the same time.

Sorry LSL
    Kris

>>um ,,, no beer

8. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I just bought a used cube van to try this year, I'm making some mods to it to make loading easier. I got a 16' one and I think it will fill up fast but it will be nice to have most everything with me. I just finished putting a trailer hitch on it for my leaf trailer for Fall. Next week will be sand and paint time. I was considering another used truck and a bigger trailer and got thinking maybe I would try a cubie first. If the van box doesn't work I'll rip the box off and I have a 19' flat bed ready to drop on it.

9. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

For tool protection I was considering getting a cap for my truck. With a 12-14FT trailer, if I needed to get a load of mulch I could. Total cost for me: $13,500 for 99 Ranger V6, Cap $900 and trailer $1,300 for total about $15,700. The combination allows for more versitality than with just a van. If I were just mowing and trimming? I think it could work fine.
    Strawbridge Lawn and Landsape

10. kutnkru

For 13/5 I would back up a little bit and go with a full size w/v-8. I think that fore pulling mulch loads and hauling equipment it would better suit your needs.

Just my .02
    Kris