Trailer weight capacity

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by ztoro, Mar 21, 2005.

1. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at a 6'4" by 14' foot single axle trailer. The weight limit is about 2400 pounds. The 2 mowers I will be towing are about 2100 pounds max. Do you think I am cutting it to close to the weight limit.. All my props are within 2 miles of home base.. The trailer will cost 1209... to go with a 6'4"x16' will cost about 1950. I would rather save the extra greenbacks if I can.....

2. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Is it an open or enclosed, and I gather it is a 3500 lbs. axle? What else are you hauling on your trailer?

3. ztoro

its open. Maybe a blower and a trimmer... that stuff could go in the bed as well..

4. jimslawns

Awwww the age old question, and Yes the
    Answer is Bigger is better, Easier to pull, significantly more capacity, most likely comes with brakes. And a little more cushion for a few of those extras.

Spend now.... or spend more later. The prices will only increase. If you can swing it go for the Larger trailer.

5. ztoro

I live in a new large development. I could basically drive the z to all my clients... I really dont need a trailer but figured it would help to have the bare minimun.. I just sold a practically new 18 foot enclosed because it was uneeded...

My question is more if the 14 footer could handle it... I dont want to load it right up to the max if it will cause issues...

6. jimslawns

a single axle with that much weight could get squirlly at highway speeds, if you are pulling it a highway speed I would definetly get the 16. The weight is an issue, but the handling could be dangerous.

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

go tandem

it is well worth the extra money. something like a trailer is not where you should scrimp. it carries all your stuff. tandem axles are always better. they are safer in case of a flat, they tow better, and will allow you to expand your businedd and carry heavier weights if you need to.

8. green814

green814 LawnSite Member

Ztoro
    I would get a tandem if possible. Where do you live? I have found a couple places in Mi that you can get a 14 or 16 ft. for $1000 to about $1300, both tandem axle.
    Chris

9. ztoro

in NJ...

Prices are way high around here for tandems...

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Just my 2 cents here, My main concern would be in stopping the trailer. Most single axles dont have brakes. Since you had the enclosed trailer I presume you had a brake control allready mounted on the tow vechile. I would check in to getting the trailer with brakes on it and then compare the price single axle vs tandem and see how much difference in $$$$$ it is then.