1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer wheel greasing/servicing

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Deori, May 26, 2013.

1. Deori

Deori LawnSite Member

Hey guys
    Just wondering how often you grease the wheels on your trailers and pack the bearings? I don't think the bearings on my trailer have ever been really checked out or serviced. Also, the last time I greased my wheels through the grease fitting, grease kept coming out slowly for a long time and getting splashed all over my wheels while driving. They didn't do this before I greased them. Did I do something wrong? Wrong kind of grease or too much grease? What kind of grease do you all use and recommend for the wheels? Thanks for taking the time to read, appreciate any response to my novice questions here!
    Posted via Mobile Device
  2. richardcog

richardcog LawnSite Member

Sound like you put to much
  3. Deori

Deori LawnSite Member

If I put too much and the excess just comes out on it's own than is it ok like that?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. Falcon50EX

Falcon50EX LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

sure just clean it up

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

You should grease it till it purges some of the old grease out. Then just clean it up and your good to go.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't know why everyone thinks that the proper way to grease machinery, etc. is to pump it in until the grease comes out. You will blow the seals out then the water and dirt will get in. Just put in a few pumps.
  7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Once a year I take the wheels off, pull the hubs clean the old grease and re pack the bearings with new clean wheel bearing grease.

If you have a zerk in the dust cap, a shot once a week or every other week is more than enough. No need to pump it with grease until it comes out the end, otherwise you just jacked up the seals.

BJWLAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

once a year