1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Trailer Wheels/Tires

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I just got a new trailer.

I think it may need a new tire or 2. Where do you guys get trailer tires from? Do you get a whole new tire and rim, or just a tire and have a shop change them? I figure I could get a whole new tire and rim for one of them so that I can use the "worn" tire as a spare, just in case of a flat..

Also, trailer wheel bearings.

Anyone have any good advice as to how to re-pack them, what it involves, and where do you buy bearings for trailers from? Pep Boys?

2. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure the tire load rating is correct for the trailer and that all tires are of the same rating. Bearings are available from many different part stores(Napa, Big A, etc.) or a trailer supply store. Use wheel bearing grease, clean old hub and bearings, install new bearing cups, pack bearing cones with a bearing packer or work new grease into bearing by hand, pack hub cavatity with new grease, install rear bearing and seal, side onto axle shaft, install front cone bearing and washer and nut. Tighten nut as tight as you can to seat bearing fully, back off nut till loose, retighten nut until snug, 1 spin tire, 2 spin tire hard, tire should rotate about one to one and half turns, if it spins more, tighten nut, install cotter pin and dust cap.
    You could also check with the trailer manufacture for proper bearing preload, some larger trailers require much higher preloads. For smaller trailers the above steps should work for you.