Trailer wiring connections

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mtdman, Dec 27, 2004.

1. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

In the past, in the winter I've always hit my connectors with a liberal dose of dielectric grease, and covered them up tight. Fortunately my f150s have had connector covers. My new truck, however, has both a 4 pin connector and a 5 or 6 pin connector as well. The bigger one is a bigger connection, too much to cover with a little tube of grease. I worry about it corroding, and wonder what to put on this connector. I have been told that vasoline works to keep the pins from corroding as well.

Any thoughts?

THanks

:D

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

CRC works fairly well and leaves an oil coating on them, Maybe spray them each month, I dont think 1 spraying would last a winter. We used it on the Semi's at the shop I worked for. It was the best we found for winter corrosion and they were used daily but the salt and moisture gets in there any way

3. mtdman

What is crc?

4. grass_cuttin_fool

Hmmmmmm, Its kinda like w-d40 but instead of being a penetrating oil its designed more for lubrication and protection

5. mtdman

Can it be found in auto parts places? Or where can I get it?

6. grass_cuttin_fool

Yes around here in Va the local Napa, Carquest carries it, Probably some of the other auto parts should carry it. We always bought it in 1 gallon jugs and used a spray bottle, but it is sold in spray cans also

7. grass_cuttin_fool

8. mtdman

Thanks!

9. FERT-TEK

FERT-TEK LawnSite Bronze Member

I am not trying to hijack this post but if anyone knows which color on a five or six pin trailer connector is for the back-up lights on a 2004 Chevy Silverado please PM me. I want to tap into the trailer hitch wiring off of the vehicle to add some white driving lights to illuminate the ground behind the vehicle when backing up. I dont know which one is for the back-up lights. Someone told me to get a volt meter, put the transmission in reverse (motor off) and check which one is hot. Will this method work? I need to find a volt meter then. If someone has done this did you have any problems doing this, wire the right gauge blown fuses etc?