Trailer wiring harness question

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by thoakes3, Apr 19, 2005.

1. thoakes3

thoakes3 LawnSite Member

I have an '04 Nissan Frontier. Last night I bought a T-Connector wiring harness from Auto Zone. The wiring harness was designated to fit a '98-'03 Frontier. The frontier didn't change until '05, so myself and the Auto Zone parts guy assumed that it would fit fine. Everything matched up, all the connectors fit exactly, but the trailer lights won't work. The trailer has always been so-so with the lighting ( I don't know why) but the trailer is about 10 years old. Anyway, my question is, if all of the connectors fit, matched up, etc., do you guys think its the trailer? I went to U-Haul this morning and the guy said that if everything fit, it must be the trailer. The guy was pretty rude like he didn't want to be there or something, so I wasn't sure.
    I wanted to ask guys that actually pulled a trailer, because i doubt he hauls much behind his Kia.

Thanks Guys!

2. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

go bu yourself a little volt/meter tester...... and have someone operate the brakes while you are testing the connections.... Also sometimes new cars have relays in teh glove box that need to be plugged in under the hood....

3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

It probably is wired correct, Northern tool and I suspect alot af auto places sell a plug in to the wiring harnes that allows you to check the wiring to see if it is correct. Do you have the white wire hooked up and grounded good on the truck and trailer? 90% of trailer problems are from a faulty ground
    here is a link to the tester I was talking about, its only 3 bux
    http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...?storeId=6970&productId=200307153&R=200307153

4. thoakes3

thoakes3 LawnSite Member

Well, I bought a tester just like that at lunch, and they still do not work (the wires on the truck) I called the nissan dealer and he said that there is no difference between the '03 and '04 models regarding this. he said that he doesn't know what could be the matter without looking at it first.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

Im quessing there is some kind of change from 03 to 04 not sure what it is but something

6. thoakes3

thoakes3 LawnSite Member

I'm up and running now. A buddy of mine checked it out for me. Ran new wiring on the trailer and re-checked what i had done just to make sure. I'm electrically challenged i guess, but thanks to lawnsite (ztoro and grass_cuttin_fool especially) another problem solved.

7. grass_cuttin_fool

Glad you got going, so many people never worry about the lights, just that they can get hooked and go. I try to keep my lights working and in order

8. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Man i see it everyday.Guys pulling trailers and the lights dont work.Here in florida.if a cops see it<your getting a 50 buck fine.They really nail you here for it.

9. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a reasonable fine.. In NJ they make you pay there next mortage payment.... If you take it to court and lose then you also need to pay the judges porsche payment......

10. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

might be the trailer. I had a problem on a trailer when none of the lights worked and the cause was there was build up on the lights because they grounded through the bolts. Check that out. Try going to a trailer place not U-Haul and have them look at it.
    that is all I can think of.