Trailer Wiring Help

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Bobby42185, Jul 4, 2005.

1. Bobby42185

Bobby42185 LawnSite Member

I just finished wiring up my trailer lights from a kit, I double checked and made sure all the wires were connected right, but whenever I have the running lights on and hit the brakes, the right light just goes out instead of getting brighter. It works fine when the running lights are'nt on though. Any ideas? Thanks for any help.

2. kevB

kevB LawnSite Member

With trailers, the first cuplrite is always the ground. Check your ground connection completely. Remember, for some lights/kits, the spot where the light unit connects to the metal of the trailer serves as the ground. Then, follow each wire from it's connection with your vehicle to each individual light. When I was in charge of winter maintenance for a LCO, I found it easier to completely rewire a trailer rather than to troubleshoot a problem. YMMV. Good luck,

3. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

ditto, thats what I did on one of my old trailers

4. fool32696

fool32696 LawnSite Senior Member

When I had a problem with my lights, I just replaced all of them. I found the problem with the old ones when removing the wires. One of the 12v wires had worn through and was grounding to the frame.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I think its a ground problem, make sure the white wire is connected to the trailer frame and to the truck frame

6. Bobby42185

Bobby42185 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help so far, I'll be trying these ideas today...