1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by True Harbor, Apr 18, 2006.

1. True Harbor

True Harbor LawnSite Member

I was wondering if anyone knew where you can get a 5*10 tandem or maybe a 5*12 would work too. The smallest I've been seeing is 6*12 but the 6 width is a little to wide. Thanks
  2. dougmartin2003

dougmartin2003 LawnSite Senior Member

your better off starting with a 6 foot wide trailer. they dont cost that much more.and when you upgrade to bigger equipment you wont have to get a bigger trailer.
  3. mrbray101

mrbray101 LawnSite Senior Member

i agree, 6x12 is a great size to start with. you will eventually regret it if you get something smaller i think. Check around in the local classifieds, ebay has some trailers, maybe junktank.com. I got a pretty good deal on mine out of the newspaper classified section. Good luck to you.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

The six foot allows you to get the 36" unit to pass by a 21" so you don't need to do a monkey drill at each account.
  5. EPIC

EPIC LawnSite Member

I am going to get a 6x12 and a side ramp on the next one so i dont have to take one mower off just to get to another one
  6. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

Couldn't have said it better. Lay out your equipment and then measure how much space it takes up. I went for a six foot for the exact reason above. I would have regretted getting the 5 foot as soon as I loaded equipment into it.
  7. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Get the biggest one you can afford.... TRUST ME!!! You will always need the room for tools and other things.:)
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Keep in mind the 6x12 is the largest single-axle trailer you can buy, and it is awesome for more than that reason!

If you get a double-axle trailer, it puts your truck + trailer's GVWR over 10k pounds and in a lot of places this requires a Class-C CDL !

So, get the largest single-axle money can buy because:
    I can load a mower in back and 2 cubes of mulch in front... Other times I can load up a fair amount of debris and still have space for my mower, also the pushblower. I can load the pushblower and the aerator in the very front with the mower behind and I still got space for seed and fert and lime and the spreader, too!
    I've even loaded a cube of slate rock in the front and 2 cubes of mulch in the back!
    I don't do this a lot because of the mickey mouse of it all, but I can and it saves time.
    My trailer holds (get this) FIVE cubic yards of mulch! Although it would hold as much dirt or rock, its single axle will not tolerate much over 4 thousand pounds, so 2 cubes of rock pushes the issue.
    Load half the day's work in the front, supplies in the back or to the sides and another piece or two of equipment and the 6 feet gives you that extra space you need to roll stuff past the supplies without having to remove everything.
    And, 6x12 + trucks GVWR is always under 10k so you don't need a Commercial Driver's License.
    Get one with 2-foot sides, now you have retainer walls for free (ok ok, but you know what I mean).
  9. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

simple as ^^
  10. True Harbor

True Harbor LawnSite Member

I just dont have more than enough room to store any bigger than a 5 foot wide. 12 feet long would be ok but I'd really like the dual axle for stability thats what they provide right?