Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Ben's Landscape, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Ben's Landscape

Ben's Landscape LawnSite Bronze Member

I am looking for a decent trailer to start off my company!! as of now i have been working out of the bed of my pick up and finally its time to upgrade. I was wondering what a good brand is?? do i stick with the 6x10 or 6x12 size that i was looking at or go to something bigger?? should i buy a open or enclosed??
  2. LKNBigFish

LKNBigFish LawnSite Member
    from NC

By at least a 12' or 16', get a tandem axle, there better in case of blow outs, have a lot more capacity, and usually have brakes which really save your truck. I prefer open because i am hard on trailers and the enclosed get beat up looking real quick if your rough. just to give you an idea of price, last month I bought a new 6'x16' open tandem axle with brakes for $1350 +tax, etc.

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

This sounds like a pretty good start to me.
  4. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I bought a 5x10 to start with. My next will be a 12ft enclosed at the minimum. If you dont have alot of space to store your equipment, the enclosed trailer will do just that.
  5. paradisescaper

paradisescaper LawnSite Member

do you need storage? how many accounts do you want? what size crews will you run? commercial or resi?

id say 6x12 will only be enough for 2 man crew 1 ztr 1w/b. if you need the storage by enclosed, if not save the money. if you want 3 or 4 man crews maybe you want 16/20ft for another ztr or stander.
  6. huntlawncare

huntlawncare LawnSite Member

Check out they are in nc but they sale all over the US but when the dealers sale them there under a differant name i have a 6.5 x16 that i love they are better built than the most mom and pop places around here
  7. LKNBigFish

LKNBigFish LawnSite Member
    from NC

their prices look real good.
  8. JHLC

JHLC LawnSite Member

Another question would be do you have a secure place to store your equipment? Maybe a garage or shop? If not, I would go enclosed.
  9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't consider a 10 footer but you'll want to check your state's DOT
    specifications concerning GVWR and CDL's before you buy anything bigger
    than a 6x12 or more specifically before you get into double axles.
    Because your GVWR goes over your state's weight limit and you have to have a
    Commercial Driver's License.
    Then remember it's not what you plan on towing, it's about the rating!
    And it's truck + trailer combined, the GVWR of both.

Then, double axle trailers wear tires faster because there is no differential and in the turns...
    Also it's 4 tires instead of 2.
    The largest single axle trailer is a 6x12.
  10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I run a 6X14 with 2 3500# axles. I had it custom made back in 1998. My only regret is it doesn't have trailer brakes. I am thinking about adding them because every 2 years I change pads and rotors on my truck. The 14 footer is great for me as it fits well in my garage and it pulls easy. I fit a 62" Toro and a 44" WB on there and still have room for everything I need. Get stake pockets and build you own sides to whatever you need. I would not go smaller than a 12 ever and probably no bigger than a 16. I also use it for mulch jobs. I can get 6 yards of cedar on it without a problem and unload from the side or back. I paid under 800 bucks but that was 10 years ago but he built this thing solid as a rock. Haven't had 1 issue with the trailer or deck. You aren't going to get away from the tire issue on dual axle trailers but its a cost of business for me. Good Luck.