trailering a fixed deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LHSlawnman86, Aug 15, 2004.

1. LHSlawnman86

LHSlawnman86 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i recently bought a fixed deck 36 inch mower. i have never had a fixed deck mower. i have always been able to raise the deck to put it on the trailer. how can i get it up there without scratching it to death?

thanks

2. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Just pull a wheelie and let it down gently as you get over the ramp...

3. LHSlawnman86

LHSlawnman86 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

i think that would be pretty tough for me cuz i have toro's t-bar design

4. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

with a t bar, as you get to the top of the gate stop the mower. Then push the bar forward fast and it kinda makes it jump a small wheelie, just do it fast and short you will get the hang of it

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

thank you sir--I hope someone will expound on this idea.

I need to be able to lift my mower's front wheels off the ground to be able to clear stumps, junk, the trailer gate...etc.

I have wondered how easy it was to do that with the T-BAR.

GEO :confused:

6. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

????? I have never had a problem getting my 36" fixed deck on a trailer. I am confused!

7. AndrewE

AndrewE LawnSite Member

When i put my 44 Toro on the trailer I used to raise the deck. But that gets annoying. run the mower up the trailer till the front wheels are on the top of the ramp. Then stop it. I then put it in first gear which is a must. Then I put my right hand on the t-bar in the middle and my left on the lower handle and push down on the left and start the mower up the ramp doing a wheely. You can steer with your left hand. its a little tricky at first. I only weight 145 and I do it with bigger heavyer mower so with yours it should be easy.

8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Can you post a picture of this mower?

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

You need longer ramps if the pivot point to too sharp where the deck is hanging up when you drive onto the trailer.

10. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Start 10 yards back and go top speed up the ramp full throttle... then brake as hard as you can.

PS: Wear a helmet:jester: