trailering a skid....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Apr 28, 2004.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Any chance a 5'x10' single axle trailer could carry one of those small Polaris ASL 300 skids?. The GVWR on the trailer is 2990. Trailer weight itself is 600lbs.
    Has regular ramp/gate on the back.

I think the weight of the ASL 300 is right around 2900lbs (without bucket). The one I'm looking to rent would have a bucket.

So we're talking slightly over a 1.5 tons. I realize that by the numbers it would be overweight, but is it really pushing it too far?

It's a relatively short distance (maybe 3-4 miles each way). No highway speeds. And it's a one time deal.

Actually, I'm not renting it, my nephew is. For some work on his lawn. And rather then pay delivery/pick-up charges, he just wanted to know if I could get it for him on my trailer.

Too much?? Just curious.

2. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, too much weight.

GVWR of the AXLE(s) is one thing. The weight of all the trailer framing and decking must be added, therefore exceeding your capability.

I'd not do it.

Don't step over a dollar to pick up a dime.

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Yeah, title lists trailers weight as 600lbs, leaving me 2390lbs carrying capacity.

So I'd be somewhere around 700lbs over.

I just see guys here always talking about how much weight they've carried on their trucks and trailers, and many times they go over (some go way over and do it regularly!).

So I just thought I'd ask. Doesn't really matter to me one way or the other, it's my nephews gig. I was just seeing if I could save him a couple bucks. But not looking to risk an accident or damage to do so.

Besides, I wanted to play with that thing! ;-)

Guess, I'll just have to stop by his house when they deliver it and see if I can get him out of the seat long enough to try it out.

Maybe even have pics to follow (if I can remember how to post them).

4. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Dont do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. GeeVee

If Goober says he does this and that on a regular basis on the internet, do you reckon you're going to do it as well?

A tool for every job.

Your tools are your lifeblood, not the clients money. You keep your stuff up right, you develop assets. The more the assets, the less your overhead. The least overhead means the most profits.

One more cliche', besides the ones I've given you in other threads.

Don't dig a five dollar hole for a hundred dollar man to work from.

6. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

I have always gotten a trailer from the rental place when I rent something large like that. They know that a lot of homeowners that rent stuff don't have trailers, and so they don't charge to use theirs. I'd ask the rental place about it.

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Hmmm, I'll have to tell him to ask about that. I kinda doubt it for some reason, but I could be wrong.

8. GeeVee

As many rental places may put equipment on trailer of theirs for you to haul, just as many don't, for the liability of you having a brake problem you didn't know about.

If its a Cat Rental Store- they don't provide trailers. They can make a good profit fro9m the p/u and delivery they aren't giving up.

9. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

That makes plenty of sense as well. I usually only rent from a couple different places, and both of them will provide a trailer. Never even thought that other places wouldn't provide a trailer.

10. gogetter

gogetter Banned

It's not a Cat rental store, but I think you're right about the profit thing. This place is probably the same. They'd rather make money delivering it, then giving you the trailer to use for free. Makes sense.

Ah hell, I'm just telling him to have it delivered/picked-up and pay for it. I don't really care that much to be honest.
    I do him enough favors as it is!! LOL!

I just want to go try it out once he gets it.

But thanks for the replies.