Trailering A Walker Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dogdad, Feb 17, 2003.

1. dogdad

dogdad LawnSite Member

Just bought a 26efi 42"GHS walker and was wondering if you Walker owners trailer them with the deck up? I was told by Walker that this was fine,however I was told from a dealer that the two rear wheels that roll and support the deck could break. Any experience with this?

2. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

Never heard of that happening.Had them wear a hole through the plywood trailer deck,thats all.Most people here transport them with the deck up.

3. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

It is not a problem to transport the machine with the deck up. I do not recommend moving it with the deck up. I have seen some folks get hurt real bad, especially if the deck is off and you are trying to move it.

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I can understand what the dealer means about the 2 deck wheels breaking as they are hard plastic but if you tie the mower down it won't bounce.
    I have only transported it with the deck up a few times and have had no problems.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I know that there are some eyelets or somthing to strap the deck while it is up. I can't comment on the wheels. I have never transported mine with deck up, never had the need. How many of you strap the deck down while the deck is in the down postion? I have hit potholes or railroad tracks and happen to glance in the rear view mirror to see the deck bouncing around.....and I mean high. At times it looks like a foot or more. This can't be good!!

MATT

6. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

What is the maximum acreage you guys would mow with you're Walkers and which ones do you have? Thanks

7. Indiana

Indiana LawnSite Member

I have transported my Walkers with the decks up, so I could get my 2 Walkers, push blower, small trim mower, and a 48" walk behind on my trailer. It's a tight fit, but everything rides fine.

I am the "strap king" though. I use at least three ratchet straps on each big machine and one on the small stuff. I hate to look behind me and see things moving around.

The only problem I have found is that while the decks are up and in transport the latch will come unhooked. Then you got to be sure to latch it completely before you move everything. Could trap your leg or foot between the deck and the tire. OUCH! I know from experience.

I much rather move the Walkers with the decks down and strapped. Less hassle.... unless you really need the trailer room.

At times I did.

8. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

we have hauled our walker around a few times with the deck up but only because we needed the room on the trailer. Now the only time my deck comes up is to change the blades.