Trailers and Gas Mileage

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Arvydas, Feb 5, 2013.

1. precision8m

precision8m LawnSite Senior Member

You all must live on some flat ground or be looking at your lie-o-meter. I couldn't get better than 10 pulling 4000 around town in my 1500.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

I would highly recommend you install brakes::hammerhead:
    Your mileage is going to drop between 2 to 3 miles per galon. :waving:

3. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

My biggest trailer weighs in around 6000 loaded its rated for 9900 I tow her with my 2011 ram 4500 and get 9.5-12 mpg towing.

My second biggest trailer weighs in around 5000 loaded and is towed with a 2012 ram 4500 and only gets 7-10 mpg towing. The difference is this one has 4wd and man does it kill your mileage.

4. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

im in the same boat as the original poster. I have an avalanche (1/2 ton) with the 5.3. I also have been debating the single axle 6x12's to the dual 7x14. Also considering a 7x12 dual axles also. I'd be carrying a 21 inch mower, and my Gravely 34" ZTR which isnt too big at all. (along with all the other gear such as trimmers, blowers, gas cans...etc).

Keep the info coming yall...we appreciate the input. descisons, decisions...sigh.

5. cps

cps LawnSite Member

Single axle trailers bounce around like crazy, dual axle trailers contour the ground much better. I have an Avalanche and have used it to pull a 14' open trailer with a ztr ferris, 44" wb, 3 trimmers, blowers, gas... back to our yard when the starter died on a 3500 dump. It will do the job :nono: but I just use it to do bids or run parts.

If you dont mind me asking, why are you running a 21" and a 34" ztr? You might want to loointo a 30" toro timesaver might be just what you need! We just picked one up ($1000) last fall to replace a an older 21" toro and the guys LOVE IT!

6. rbljack

rbljack LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I dont mind you asking a bit. The Ztr is a gravely zt-1534 (its a residential model, but close to commercial quality) and I only paid 200 bucks for it. he sold it cheap because it needs about 400 bucks in parts. So Im hoping to fix it and use it for the few larger yards we mow. I was going to fix it up last season, but had to replace my 21 inch mower and spent the money on a Honda HRC instead. Although not listed in my equipment list, I also have a husky 42 inch lawn tractor thats currently used on those larger properties.

Regarding the timemaster, funny you should mention that. ive been SERIOUSLY eyeing up that Exmark 30 for about 3 months now because I agree that it fit my needs very well. its a commercial version made by exmark that is very similar to the Toro Turfmaster.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013