Trailers and hitches

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Mar 17, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I know this sounds dumb to all u guys who have trucks and stuff. But right now I only have a luxery coupe. It's a really nice car, but I know it's going to look un-pro pullling my equip out of the trunk. Should I see about attatching a hitch or something and find a trailer somewhere to just until I can afford a descent used pick up? Or is it hard to attatch a small ( say 5x6) utility trailer to a car? I'd probably have to get another plate and insurance for that wouldn't I? Just want to do it as good as I can, yet without going broke my first year.:rolleyes:

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sell the car and buy a truck, never look back.

3. green-pa

Or maybe trade it in? I love that car though. I just got it a few years ago and I had been wanting this particular model since like 2000. Now that I have it, I don't want to part with it. I'd rather look rough for a few weeks, or til I know I'm making enough to make payment on a truck. Even just some old thing for under a grand. Do u guys think I could get some descent running old thing for under $1,000 somewhere? I wouldn't mind a little rust and dents and stuff. Just something to get me through a month or two or maybe my first year. Or is something that cheap just too hard to find? I could always paint over the rust and shine it up as best as I can and tell the customers that my good truck is in the shop or something 'til I get a truck or get a nice one.

4. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

look around you can find a good old truck for a couple thousand or less that would get you by for a couple years. I wouldn't even waste the money on a trailer that small, you will out grow it the year you bought it.

5. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

Can you not afford a decent used one for a couple hundred a month? You could finance out a used one that costs 5k-10k and stay around a couple hundred a month. If not, I'd figure out a different way to make some money and come back to the lawn business when you have a little more cash built up. I couldn't imagine running my business without a truck.. or multiple trucks at that.

6. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

check auto trader/truck trader magizine the have some good deals in there.
    you need a truck ASAP, trade in the car or sell it you should be able to get enough loot out of it and with your grand added to it get the best most reliable truck you can, remember you get what you pay for!

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

A hitch is around $300 installed, and even a tiny trailer will be near $500. If you just have one mower you wouldn't even need a trailer, just drive it up some ramps.

8. green-pa

Maybe I could get financing for a cheap truck. I don't know. If I have to, I'll just tell em my trucks in the shop. Just 'til I"m bringin' in the $ to make the truck payment. I'm really low on cash now and I like I said before, my car is my baby!

9. biggin69

biggin69 LawnSite Member

I think you need to figure out wether you want to make $$$ or you want to keep your car. If you cannot part with your car, you still need a truck. Financing for 5 years runs about $100 per month for every $5000 spent. I would not waste the $$$ on a trailer that small.

10. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

Do what he says. Your not going to get too far using a Car. What happens when you need to do other things? I just can't see not having a Truck of some type.