Trailers: Enclosed or Open?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MTS2357, May 10, 2002.

1. MTS2357

MTS2357 LawnSite Member

This year is my first with enough work and equipment that I will need/ want a trailer. Some opinions please.

2. Big G

Big G LawnSite Member

9 out of 10 LCO's in our area have open trailers. Of the LCO's with enclosed trailers not all have their company name on it. Lot's of stealth LCO's in our area.

My thoughts are these:

Enclosed trailers are better because:
    *Better on equipment (Keeps them out of the elements)
    *Looks more professional
    *More storage space
    *High security
    *MOVING BILLBOARD!

If you decide on an enclosed trailer, make sure to:
    *Get the biggest you can afford
    *Get tandem axle
    *Get electric trailer brakes
    *Get spring assisted rear fold down door
    *Make sure your truck can safely pull it/stop it.
    *PUT YOUR COMPANY NAME & PHONE NUMBER ON IT!

Hope this helps!

Big G:)

3. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

ditto what said above also make sure u get brakes either way enclosed or open, its not so much being able to pull but to stop. also dont forget to look into where u can park ur equip, do u have a shop or is leaving it on a trailer parked somewhere a requirement (enclsosed)? also check out the search feature

4. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

I have been looking into this as well, Currently I have an open trailer that I really do not use that much any more and lately have been using the truck by itself. However I really thought of a good enclosed rig set up would be great, You can protect your tools much better from the elements and oportunist looking to steal something real quick, and if you do a nice job of lettering it really looks professional.

5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can swing it , go with the enclosed, and as posted above, the heaviest you can. I just bought a 16' Haulmark and I love it. We have everything we need, locked inside, out of the elements. I also like having a wide variety of tools with us, so if a client needs us to do small "spur of the moment" jobs, we can do it immediately, and not have to make a separate trip. Mike

6. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

So far all positive feedback on enclosed trailers - so how about some feedback on the on the drawbacks to enclosed trailers. What about the pro's to open trailers?

Pro's for Open:
    1) Easy access
    2) No gas fumes
    3) Easy to paint/repair and maintain

Cons for Closed:
    1) May be more difficult to drive due to reduced visability
    2) Damage is more costly to fix - paint can won't do
    3) Increased weight

7. AielLandscaping

AielLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

if it's enclosed you won't get as much storage space...

8. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

My next trailer will be enclosed. (Unless I break down and go for the Isuzu cab-over with the landscaper bed.)
    I like my open 18 ft. trailer but with the weather here and the dirtbags that like to steal equipment I'd feel better with an enclosed trailer.

(Yes,everything is chained up and locked.)

9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 8 by 14 ft enclosed trailer, and i really cant think of too many reasons why you shouldnt get one. its so nice to just unhook, lock it up and drive away. some people say its a pain when you gas up because you have to unload everything, but i havent found it to be that big of an inconvenience. the pros definately outweigh the cons.

10. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

We had a 6 x 12 open trailer with ramp/ 2' mesh sides/ weather treated plank bottom/ black/single axle/handmade trimmer/edger rack. Stuff was not that much easier to access on the open trailer, IMHO. It was A LOT lighter and we use more gas hauling the enclosed around. But the pros outweigh the cons for us.

The open trailer served us great, but like Dennis E. said, here in Florida the weather is so bad in the afternoons on most days in the summer that you need to have an enclosed trailer. We spent close to $1000 on electric work on our equipment last year due to getting caught out in downpours! Also, we always had someone near the truck all the time so wannabe theifs couldn't do their deed! We never went into stores together. We also worried about it being outside at home. Even though we had stuff locked up, it was in view and easier to lift. Now we virtually have a rolling garage with our 6'8" x 16' trailer with spring ramp, side door, vent (to get rid of fumes), lights, rack in front for storing stuff, interior jungle jim rack for trimmers, edger and backpack blower, electric brake system. It is easy to get in and out of with equipment! We do not have our name on the trailer, but are thinking about it. We like being "stealth." No one knows what is in the trailer. But we also would like to advertise our business because we're proud of what we do!

P.S. Have you ever sat down on a hot mower seat in August while wearing shorts?! Not a problem with the enclosed trailer!