Trailers: Two Axle versus One?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bdoss123, Apr 4, 2006.

1. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

What's the difference? There is a local sale with an approx. 6x12 (or 14) trailer that has two axles, most of the ones I have seen in this price range are single.

So my question is, what's the difference?

Thanks guys,
  2. daylight and dark when your pulling them, two axles haul more and pull a lot smoother.
  3. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

Are they any harder to pull. I'll be starting with my Ranger which isn't much for towing. Although it would only be pulling a 48-52 mower, a 21 push, and then the small equipment.

4. trackgimp

trackgimp LawnSite Member

Go big or go home, that's my moto. Seriously though, make sure that you get a trailer that is bigger then you currently need. You will more then likely grow in to it. 2 axles are much better then one. You should see what your tires can look like if you put too much weight on your singl axle trailer.
  5. bdoss123

bdoss123 LawnSite Member

I think I am going to make and offer on it. Eventually the Ranger will be replaced with something bigger, and hopefully by then I'll have some more weight (equipment) to put on the thing.

6. jkkalbers

jkkalbers LawnSite Member

If it has two axels, chances are it has electric brakes, at least it should. If it does you will need to install a brake controller in your truck. If all you need it for is a walk behind and a 21 go with a single axel for now.
  7. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have a single axle and inherited a double axle. My single axle with both my ztrs on it is hurting. The tires look like they are running on the inside edge from bowing out.
  8. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

if you can afford it, go with the twin axle. it will make life easier on your truck, and if you ever needed to move a heavy skid steer loader, you would be set.
  9. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Plus if you blow a tire or something rare like that with a tandem axle trailer, you can limp home or whatever. With a single axle trailer, you're most likely screwed.

As far as your Ranger pulling a tandem axle trailer, I've pulled one with a Dakota and had no problems, but the Dakota had the 4.7L V-8 in it, so that's a bit of a difference over the Ranger. But I don't think short-term it will be a problem.

This isn't very significant, but I remember someone saying this a while back on here that tandem axle trailers look more professional and I agree with that. (I have a single axle trailer, so understand I'm not putting anyone down here or saying that anyone with a single axle trailer is unprofessional) I just think aesthetically, they look better and more professional.
  10. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the biggest one you can afford. The double axle will be able to haul more weight, but it will pull harder. If your going to be pulling it with a Ranger, you won't forget its back there, but if you plan on upgrading your truck you should be fine.