Trailers - what one? Where to find?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bob_McNaughton, Jul 15, 2001.

1. Bob_McNaughton

Bob_McNaughton LawnSite Member

I've done a search for trailers on this board, and had no real luck with my question.

So my question is, where can one find a good trailer, what are some good names? What should I look for in a trailer?

I've made up my mind to go with a enclosed trailer, for the added professional look, weather issues, and the fact that my house doesn't have a garage.

Any advice is appreciated.

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

4. TotalLawn

TotalLawn LawnSite Member

I have a Wells Cargo 16' enclosed trailer. It's got the racks on the walls for blower, hedge trimmer, water cooler, 3 trimmers, and backpack sprayer, racks, shovels, etc., and a cage up front. I carry 2 scotts 21" mowers, 1 toro 32" wb, and 1 toro 62" ztr. As well as a air tank, wheelbarrel, 2 tool boxes, 6' step lader, and various hand tools. I have been happy with it so far. And yes, I can still get around inside (somewhat).

5. Bob_McNaughton

Nice setup Brian. Whats a good enclosed trailer cost nowadays?

Also, why 16'? I'm debating a between a 14 and a 16 right now. Any big price differences?

6. TotalLawn

TotalLawn LawnSite Member

I don't know how much a 14' is, I knew I needed longer so I didn't even price it.

My 16' was $6800. Inside width is like 7', and inside height is 6'. With all the equip. I listed above I have about 6 - 12 inches to spare in length.

7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Last week I ordered my first enclosed trailer.
    It is a custom Pace American. Aero sport model.
    This trailer is a v-nose car hauler, 26ft in total lenght 21 usable.
    Rear ramp door, side man door, and front ramp door on the v.
    Options installed at the factory are:
    E-track 3 lengths evenly spaced in floor.
    E-track 2 lengths per side wall
    8 d-rings installed in floor
    2 5k axles in lieu of 3500's
    Custom locks and alarm system.
    Checker board floor tile throughout.

List price: $10,600.00
    My negotiated price $8900.00

This trailer will haul any of my equipment this winter without getting it wet and salt covered from traveling through snow storms.
    Also, it will haul my snowmobiles and friends sleds with ease.

:)

Here is a link to the model
    http://www.paceamerican.com/products/aero_sport.htm

Pj

8. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

I have the same trailer as mowerconsultant.
    Except: no Security sys.
    plywood floors
    no E track
    mine is 102" wide...with about 78" between wheelwells.
    I elected to add my own unistrut where I wanted it instead of using the E track
    I also added two spare tires
    paid $6300 for it in '99
    David

9. Bob_McNaughton

Holy god are those expensive! Apparently I grossly underestimated what one costs. I was figuring in the area of 2-3k for a decent enclosed trailer.

My biggest problem is I don't have a garage at my house to store the mowers when I start the business. So leaving stuff out all winter isn't an attractive thought. But 7-9k?? I can have a decent 2 car garage built for 10k, and get the payoffs when I sell the house eventually.

I'm completely shocked that people are actually out there paying 10k for trailers.. Blown away, flabbergasted, in awe.

10. racerdave

racerdave LawnSite Senior Member

I WOULD PROBABLY BUY IT THRU MY BUSINESS. I TRY TO KEEP BIZ AND PERSONAL OWNERSHIP SEPARATE. I BELEIVE THER ARE TAX ADVANTAGES THIS WAY YOU NEED TO CHECK THAT OUT BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING.
    DAVID