Trailers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lawn Enforcement FM, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Lawn Enforcement FM

Lawn Enforcement FM LawnSite Member

I am currently shopping for a trailer. I will be a solo operator with a 54 in Z which is 70in long. I found a a few trailers that would do the job and am just looking for opinions on a direction to go.

I fould a 6-12 foot trailer by the Carry on company that was designed with a side ramp. It is called an ATV trailer My fear is that I will out grow this trailer when I add a smaller mower for gated areas. It is a single axle trailer for $1400.

http://www.carry-ontrailer.com/product/6x12ATV_OT.htm

The next one under conderation is a 6.5 X 14 that Doesn't have a side gate but is a double axle with brakes for about $1900.00.

Then the final trailer I am looking at is one by Road king trailers. They have a lanscapers trailer, that has double axles, a side gate, a box built on the front, and high mesh sides for plants/clean up. it is a 7X 16 for $2800

http://www.roadkingtrailers.com/RKLT.htm

My question would be, is it worth the extra money to get the 16 footer, would the 12 footer be enough, or would going to the middle be the way to go? I could swing the money for the biggest trailer, but it would eat a large chunk of my advertising budget. Thanks for any advice!

2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 6x12 and a 6x16, and a 6x12 is the least trailer you can get by with a Z and a walkbehind 11 foot 6 inches. I took my 12 foot trailer and use it for a mulch trailer or a back up incase the 16 footer breaks down

3. rfed32

rfed32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Hatboro

i would say go with a 5x10 or 6x10 UNLESS you are thinkin about gettin bigger go with something that is 6 or 7 feet wide by 12 to 14 feet long...you dont need a 16 footer even if you get bigger you wont get that big right away plus youd be surprised waht you can do with that 12 footer...i have borrowed my cuz, he uses it for his atv's but i have put 2yrds of mulch on it, a small kobota, golfcart with a sprayer, ztr and wb will fit....but thats what i would say

4. Taiter85

Taiter85 LawnSite Member

I just bought a 6x12 and am happy with it though it needs a little bit of work to be where I want it. I paid 800 for it and it is used but it is a sturdy built trailer and will be perfect for what I want to do. (Lawn care and small landscaping)
    Attached are some pictures of my new purchase-
    1. Truck and Trailer
    [​IMG]
    2. Before wire brush, primer and rattle can
    [​IMG]
    3. After a little bit of work
    [​IMG]
    4. Decking which will eventually be replaced with pressure treated
    [​IMG]

trucktrailer1.jpg

rusty1.jpg

newpaint1.jpg

decking1.jpg

5. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

In spring of this year I got a 6.5 x 12 for just over $1000. I think $1400 is too much.
    I would get a used 6 x 12 and start with that. Trailers are like mowers- never have enough and each will sever a different propose. Trailers are so cheap that I would not spend any time worrying about one. Start small and build as you need to.
    Always remember that when you are loading or working in/on the trailer you want it to be 53' long but when you are driving or parking you wish it was small. Check what will fit you route best. If you spend an extra 15min. a day driving or parking a trailer because it is too big you just bought a trailer every 2 months. ( in lost income).
    Start as small as possible (12') and grow as you need to.

6. Doug Z.

Doug Z. LawnSite Member

My first trailer was a 6 by 12 foot Chilton trailer with the ramp in the back. i paid about $1300.00 new in 99. I put 2 foot sides on it and i could haul 1 1/2 cyd of stone or topsoil, or up to 6 cyds of mulch on it. It worked great for mowing, but when I did spring and fall cleanups, I halued my rider and my vacuume system. I had to take them apart, and push the vacuume up the ramp, it really sucked.
    I decided to buy a bigger one due to the landscaping end of things, hauling a skidsteer, tractor, etc... and my brother was in the market for a trailer for his personal use, so I sold him mine for $ 1000.00. As it turns out, the trailer i bought was A) tooo heavy ( 14000lb. axles) and B) too long (20ft deck) for everyday mowing. It was a 20 foot long (25' if you include the tongue) Rugged Road Trailer that I had custom bulit. I had extra supports put in and a taller bulkhead. I paid about $ 4000.00 for that one. Now, I bought the Chilton back from my brother, and have that set up strictly for lawn mowwing. Before I bought my dump truck, i put 4' sides on the chilton, and put the equipment on the Rugged Road for spring and fall cleanups. Youd be amazed at how much grass and leaves you can put in a 6 ' x 12' by 4' tailer...

So, my suggestion is, start with the smallest one you need, and buy bigger if you need it later, also, i depends on what is pulling it. I started my business with an older Chevy s10. i pulled the chilton, and boy you knew that was back there, really knew it when i hauled topsoil or mulch. Once I got my 3/4ton, it now longer mattered.

7. cuttinggrassiscool

cuttinggrassiscool LawnSite Member

im no pro by sure but i would say to go with the 6 x 12 for sure. if i understand you right then you have a ramp on the side and the back of the trailer. i can fit a small z and a 42 walk on mine with all the needed support equpiment. i have a single axle 6 x 12 paid 1150 for it bout a year ago(maybe two) if yours doesnt have both gates, i would say that price is to high(even with the steal embargo, but i may be wrong).

8. The Ripper

The Ripper LawnSite Member

Get as big as you can afford. Especially dual axle. I have a 16ft trailer and I can fit nine yards of mulch, or two pallets of sod on it, plus an abundant amount of equipment when I am just mowing. Try the classifieds for a used one and you can probably fit it in to your budget.

9. paolaken

paolaken LawnSite Senior Member

i would at least go with the 14' dual axle with brakes. you don't want just enough room, you want extra room for future needs. aerator, seeder etc.

10. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

Several things that need to be considered before buying your first trailer:

1. What will you pull the trailer with? You cant pull a 16 foot trailer full of mowers and gear with an S-10 and expect it to last.

2. Are you doing this full time or just to make some extra money? Full time - get a 16' trailer and you will grow into it

3. Do you have stoarage space for a bigger trailer? A 16' trailer takes up a lot of space in a garage or carport. Some Subdivisions you cant put a traler outside

4. Have you ever pulled a trailer before? Pulling and backing a 12' trailer is a lot easier than a 16' trailer

5. Can you turn a bigger trailer around at the yards you mow? some areas are very tight and narrow and are a pain in the rear to get a big trailer in and out of.

I started out with a 6x12 trailer and asked this same question on here and got the same replies- Get the biggest that you can afford because your business will grow. I now have a 7x16 that is packed full of stuff and I wish I had more room. I'm looking at getting a cab-over so that should help a lot in my situation.