1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Supper Grassy, May 17, 2007.

1. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

I am wondering what size trailer i should get, it is to be used as a landscape trailer. and what way do you organize your equiptment
  2. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Get the biggest that you can. They fill up fast. You will need the room to grow as well. As far as organizing equipment....there are a bunch of companies that make racks for trailers. I use Jungle Jim and Buyer's.
  3. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I went from 5x10 to 6.5x12 to 83"x18 in 7 years. About to add a 83"x24 in a month or so. All depends what your going to do with it.
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

I really screwed up on this one.....

I went from a 5X10 single to a 6X12 in 1 month...........

Like RED CAPE said.....they fill up fast

Damn I want that cape...
  5. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

That is correct! When I first started, less than a year ago I purchased a 5X8 trailer from Northern Tool. Spend $450.00...can you say sucker! Anyhow, I invested in a enclosed trailer even though at the time I could not justify having it...sort of. Anyhow, I got tired of loading and unloading my trailer every time I got finished for the day.

Get something you can grow into!

6. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

I am purchasing my first trailer within a week. I called many places and a 5x10 was only 50$-75$ more then a 5x8 so i will be getting a 5x10.
    I think a 5x10 is future proofing me for quite some time. right now I have a home edition zero turn mower and I see my next purchase being the same thing just a better name with wider cut. I can fit 2 pushmowers and a zero turn mower. Or a walk behind and a zero turn mower fairly comfortably. I will however be building a rectangle shaped tool/supply box at the front of the trailer, a water cooler rack hanging off the side, and a weedeater rack hanging off the side. if you load it down with racks to make more mower room, I think you should be set for a while.
  7. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

we don't use the 'W' word

we say 'trimmer rack'
  8. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry, Trimmer rack!!! ;)
  9. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

its cool..when i first came here someone threw a fit saying that was the homeowner way of saying that...so from now on i just say trimmer...it is easier
  10. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

Find a trailer that you can use to to expand. As of right now we've only got two (7x24, 8x18, and 8x32). But find one that you can load anything you want but yet still have the truck to pull it (Smallest we used a 7.3L interceptor chipped 350). So don't try pulling a 8x18 with a half ton, you'll just get no where fast. If you got the truck avoid a single axle look at getting a set back tandem axle. It will pull better, won't dog walk as much, and your max load will increase.

Personally I don't see why everything has to go on to the trailer. Granted on two of our trucks (F450, F550) have 9ft beds. Theirs plenty of room in a 8 or 6ft bed.