Trailers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by doitforjohnny, Aug 2, 2007.

1. doitforjohnny

doitforjohnny LawnSite Member

Hello,
    I'm a newbie on this forum. I am starting a new Lawn Care business and need a trailer. I wanted to know if you guys knew of any place online or other where I can find a good used trailer. I am thinking I need maybe a 5x8 or something close to that? I have been looking on Craiglist but there hasn't been anything on there. I am looking to spend around 800. I live in Riverside California. Any suggestions, advice is very much appreciated!

Thanks,
    Johnny

2. grassmedics

grassmedics LawnSite Member

i would say find a nice 6x12. i have a 5x10 now and just bought new rider, well needless to say when i got home to put the 48 inch walk behind on, the gate would not close unless the 48 was on sideways. just saves you the hassel if your going to be getting more than 1 commercial mower

3. doitforjohnny

Hey Grassmedics,
    Thanks for the reply. Yeah I think a 6x12 would be the best size for me. I only have one commercial and 2 walk behinds right now. I plan on getting 2 commercials in the future so the 6x12 would be smart.
    Do you know of anywhere to get used trailers of that size?

Johnny

4. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

the best advice is to get what you can afford you can possibly out grow a trailer JMO

5. doitforjohnny

Your right. Right now my crew consists of me myself and I. I am starting with 2 small commercial acounts that I just got. One is a small office building and the other is a small school. I have no residential yet. I lucked out with the 2 commercial accounts. I have 2 honda push mowers and one Toro ride along. I will only need to bring the Toro for one of the accounts. The other I will just need one push mower. Even when I start picking up some residential I will only be taking one push mower. So I am thinking that a 5x8 would be ok for now. If I need something bigger in a year or so I'll just expand. Thoughts?

Johnny

6. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Buy either a 16' or 20' if your planning on staying in this business for very long and they also have better resale value if your not.

7. doitforjohnny

20' ?? Isn't that kind of extreme? It's just me right now and I'm just starting out with only 2 small commercial accounts? When my business starts to grow and I realize that I need a larger trailer well then I'll get one then. Isn't 20 feet the size of a semi truck? Thanks for the reply! :)

Johnny

8. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

:waving: :waving: Buy something that will last you when you grow you will also need space debris and brush when you clear something or big tree limbs because will grow there is no sense in buying 2 trailers trust me.

9. amos_moses

amos_moses LawnSite Member
    from AR

I have a 5.5x8.5 that I put four-foot sides on. I haul a 50" z, a 21" pusher, two trimmers, an edger, a BP blower, and a small to medium pile of debris on all the time. It serves me fine. Homemade all the way. I've had to be creative when I've trimmed shrubs or limbs, but I've made do. I'l spend my $1k+ on a 16 footer during the winter, but not right now. Just my $.02.

10. doitforjohnny

Makes sense! Worth more than $.02

Thanks for your reply.

Johnny