1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare3, Nov 22, 2002.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm just wondering what size trailer would be a good size for a 48" walkbehind, a 36" walhbehind and two 21"ers thanks:blob4:
  2. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

6 1/2 X 12 is one that i have.i put a 32 and 52 on with one 21 and two little wonder leaf blowers.i have room for one more 21 if i wanted to buy another
  3. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

While a single axle 12 footer is good if that size/amount of mowers is all you'll have. But If you ever plan on adding a large ZTR and a 48-52" WB, you'd be better off just going to a 16' tandem axle. They're not too much more $$, and a LOT easier to sell if ever need be.
  4. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

try doing a search, u will find nething u could possibly want to about trailers.
  5. ScotLawn

ScotLawn LawnSite Senior Member

open trailers I would recomend nothing shorter than a 6.5x16ft on a tandum. single axle 12ft is as long as i'd go. I have a 5x12 single and it's too small for one 21", a 48 metro, and a 36". I did run a 6.5x14 which held a 52wb, one 21", and a 36 fine but would have loved the extra 2 feet for hauling mulch or other things along with the mowers.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

14' would be the smallest I'd get for mowing crews. I would suggest a 16'. While you can get everything your talking about on smaller trailers there is a part that most people miss about trailers and this biz. How do I start?

Time is money. If you have to unload everything to get to what you need your wasting time. Thats unproductive time that cost you $$. With a bigger trailer you can get your equipment organized so that you don't spend very much time getting equipment to making money. If your not careful your trailer will become your bottleneck. You need to organize for maximum productivity.
  7. Id say 16 foot to, even if you dont need it right away you may grow your biz get a ztr and then the 16 would come in handy.

LLMSERVICE LawnSite Member

Timely advice. I'm really debating a new trailer right now and I'm torn between a 12' x 83" single or a 16' x 77" tandem. Your comment about growing into the trailer is a good one to consider.

Have any of you experienced using a curbside ramp on an open trailer? The model I'm looking at would have a side and tailgate ramp.
  9. Alan Bechard

Alan Bechard LawnSite Member

See if this makes any sense, your trailer is like your "garage" in some ways, now, you have to keep this in reason, I am not talking about 25' trailers that you cannot turn in a city block, but have you ever heard anybody say, Gee, I wish my garage was smaller, I just have too much space? My dad has a 40' X 90' small one man industrial complex of his own with two stories, he was complaining that space was getting tight in his shop!!!!

You will be hard pressed to convince me of an advantage to a single axle 12' trailer over a tandem 16' in a mowing business.

As for the side loaders, they are really neat, make sure there is enough structure underneath in the frame to carry them. The sides of a trailer normally act as a "truss" of sorts.

Al B
  10. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

if you get a bif trailer get a side gate. I wish i would have gotten the option on mine. I am going to build one for mine but don't have time right now though. get as big as you can afford