Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PROMOW, Feb 20, 2003.

PROMOW LawnSite Member

I am new here and hoping to get some great info! I need a new trailer, and was just wondering what your opinions were regarding enclosed trailers vs. open trailers. I know price is a big issue, but please post any comments on the subject, thanks!
  2. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

Well, obviously an enclosed trailer would be more secure from theft if stored out in the open or on the job site when trailer is not in sight. More storage space to be utilized in the enclosed vs. the open trailer. You can also use it for a mobile billboard with your logo on the side. If your not use to backing a trailer it can get tuff using only mirrors. Enclosed trailers are a bit more spendy.

I've never had an enclosed before, but I'm sure someone else can give more of the pro's and cons.
  3. A.J.'s Lawn Service

A.J.'s Lawn Service LawnSite Member

if they have a lowes by you they have a nice enclosed one for $2600 but i don't know the size of it
  4. tsmiff1

tsmiff1 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I bought this 14' Texas Bragg for $1750.00

5. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

I run 3 16' open trailers. Give i guys a close trailer it may not come back in one peice
  6. Heller Landscaping

Heller Landscaping LawnSite Member

We have an enclosed trailer and love it. They are more expensive but are worth it. You can come home at night and park it, you don't have to worry about rain or the security of your equipment.
    As for the trailers at Lowe's I heard that the axles were bad and that the enclosed ones leak, but that is just what I heard. Hope this helps. What ever you get get trailer brakes.:)
  7. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

How do you unload all that?
  8. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Ideally, I would like to have a 16' Enclosed trailer and a 12-14' Tow Dump unit for materials. One day Lord Willing.
  9. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Have had open & enclosed trailers, my favorite is enclosed as you don't have to totally unload at night and reload in the morning.
    The size that works for me is 7X14 narrow axle(have had larger). I prefer dual axle w/brakes all around (tough on tires but equipment rides better). Remember you get what you pay for.
  10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Go with the enclosed trailer if you can afford to. It keeps everything secure, keeps your equipment in better shape (out of the weather), lessens your time in the evening of not having to pull items that might walk away during the night off the trailer just to name a few.