1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Rich's Lawn Care, Apr 4, 2003.

1. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Just starting out and i need a trailer. What do you guy's think?

what size?

open air?

Thanks Rich
  2. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

16' tandem axle (International brand ) #7700 GVW Home depo sells them along with most commercial mower companies. We paid $1880 at Home depo 3 years ago for one and $1999 for the other last year. Brakes on ALL axles. I say this one for its size you can put mulch-grass or misc up front and haul your mowers.
  3. NYRookie

NYRookie LawnSite Member

I would say a 16' er, tandem axle, brakes on both axles. I would buy as big as you can afford so you don't have to buy a bigger one in a few years.
  4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I started with a 6.5x10 added 2' to that, then went with a 7x20, that could haul all my equipment they were all open trailers. But finally got a 25' enclosed trailer, 2 weeks ago i came home with all my equipment on the open trailer and started raining hard. Thats one reason I bought a enclosed, also vandalism. But its what you can afford and I would get at least a 16'er,.:)
  5. Hometown

Hometown LawnSite Member

I started with a 8x10 with mesh gate. It was a nice trailer to haul walkbehind and push mowers and misc stuff. Then bought a 16' dual axle with single gate and no brakes. Trailer had axles rated to #7000 but with no breaks it was to hard on tow vechile. Last year I bought a 18' dual axle with dual brakes also had a split mesh gate put on to lighten the weight of the gate. A split gate is much easier to lift and lock into place.
  6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I'd say get the biggest enclosed trailer you can afford.

Brakes on both axles.

Wells Cargo, Haulmark, Avenger...shop around.

Put the spray in bedliner on the floors, ramp and 1' up on the walls. Or several coats of EPOXY paint with sand mixed in. The bed liner is better but more $$.

You're in Maine, you'll appreciate having a safe, dry place to store the equipment while winter passes. Keeps your equipment out of the weather at all times.

I've never had anything stolen from me either.

Enclosed trailers are rolling billboards too.

Gives you some shade to eat lunch in.
  7. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks Scott that's some good info.

i'm going today to look at a used enclosed car-mate trailer 6x12
    the guy only wants $825. for it and its all set up inside with landscape racks.

why do you use the bed liner stuff?
  8. Bouncer

Bouncer LawnSite Member

Hey Rich, did you go look at that enclosed trailer?? Just wondering, seemed like one heck of a bargain!!:angel:
  9. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

My trailer has "Line-X" brand spray in bedliner in it. I really like it. It was $1200 but it's been worth it. No visible wear so far. Clean up is a snap, use a broom or a water hose. A little soap and a brush if you want it really black again. Great stuff.

Read the fine print on the trailer flooring warranty. Mine said any gas, oil, chemicals spills void your warranty. I guarantee that you will never be able to NOT spill gas, oil and chemicals inside a landscaping trailer.
  10. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

Does that spray on bedliner make it more difficult to scoop or slide material on. I considered putting it on mine, but I thought it would hinder the ease of sliding Pavestone pallets on or scooping rocks,etc.