1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

trailor for ztr tractor

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by vtx1300, Mar 20, 2005.

1. vtx1300

vtx1300 LawnSite Member
    from OKC,OK

Just curious if anyone has recommedations on affordable trailors that you can pull with your ZTR / Lawn tractors??

Or... if going to Lowes/HomeDepot/Ace is just as good as anything else??

Wanting something lightweight but also can handle some load in it if the ztr mower can pull it...

2. dh500

dh500 LawnSite Member

Glad to hear you have got your mower OK.

As far as trailers go, I have a small box trailer (see photo) which measures about 1180 by 750 x 300 (internal dimensions). It is quite light so I always leave a piece of plywood in the bottom to reduce the risk of damage when loading up with rocks. When choosing a trailer, I suggest you check that the design of the tailgate area is nice and clear when the tail gate is removed. On mine the tailgate panel runs in a couple of guides which project into the tailgate opening and are a bit of a nuisance when emptying out loose materials.

The Dixon tows the trailer no trouble at all. I also frequently tow the small chipper shown in the second photo. I am not sure what it weighs but I guess it would be close to 200kg. The Dixon seems to handle the load easily enough even though the instruction book (page 27) says loads should be limited to 250 pounds. I have not had any problems with the front wheels lifting off the ground but fortunately the jockey wheel on the chipper would hit the ground before the mower reared up too much.

As I mentioned before, I have re-inforced the tow bar as a precaution. See third and fourth pictures. I added a plate on top and two extra stays below.

3. voeg

voeg LawnSite Member
    from KS.

VTX1300, I got a trailer from Wal-mart for $88 to pull behind my Fastrack and it seems to do alright.It is a red metal trailer with inflatable tires, also, where the wheels mounted on the axles it just had steel bushings. I went down to the local bearing supply place and bought bearings to replace the bushings and help it roll better.
  4. vtx1300

vtx1300 LawnSite Member
    from OKC,OK

Thanks Voeg & DH ... I'll check out that Wal-Mart trailer ... and see what I can find out. Appreciate it very much.